Subaru Baja with high mileage purchase

I came upon a 2003 Subaru Baja today oddly at a car dealer. The odd part being that I stopped to look at the Baja and it didn’t belong to the dealer, but to a family that was looking into buying a new car for their son. The son didn’t want to be seen in this yellow and gray vehicle. We got to talking and he offered to sell it to me for $5750 with an extra set of rims and tires and the bed extention. The thing has 169000 miles on it. I am having second thoughts on whether or not I should spend that much on a car with that many miles. I commute a total of 100 miles a day and my current car has 201,111 miles on it and needs a bunch of repairs. The car runs and drives great, has had all the regular maintenance with records and is a 5-spd manual (which I like). Is this something I should even consider buying? Help!

The toughest thing I had to do was give up my Baja. It is a fantastic machine and easily will go 250k if it has been well cared for. Do what clik and clak always say take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over as if you were buying for your kid. My gut instinct would be to offer 4500 but with extras and depending in condition it may be worth the asking but have it looked at before u buy.

@Leeman ; I would offer $4500 if it checks out well and then budget another $4500 for repairs in the next two years. You have no idea how that car has been treated and how much or little maintenance has been done on it. In view of the high mileage and the type of vehicle it is, I would personally steer away from it.