Subaru awd rear wheel bearing replacement

I’m going to replace a rear wheel bearing on a 2001 Subaru Forester for a family member . I already have everything disassembled & ordered needed parts . The bearing presses into the hub which isn’t a problem . I watched a you tube video of a guy installing a bearing that was supposed to be pressed in . He had the bearing in the freezer & heated the hub in the kitchen oven . The bearing fell into the hub with no pressing . Would the heat from the hub melt the grease in the bearing or otherwise damage it or would the bearing being in the freezer be cold enough to not absorb enough heat to cause problems ?

If this was your vehicle I would say do what you want. But this is for someone else so have a real shop press the bearing in to avoid the possible lawsuit you are leaving yourself open to.

I plan to press it in but I was curious about the freeze & heat method .

How did you disassemble the hub and bearing?

Lithium grease starts to melt at 350 - 400F. I’d be surprised if any would melt in the bearing, but even if it did it wouldn’t be degraded at all.

I’d freeze the bearing and skip heating the hub. The cold alone should cause enough shrinkage to allow the bearing to go in with ease.

The freeze and heat method is the accepted installation method in the manufacturing industry for many press fit parts, far more commonplace than press-fitting. And it works. Although in garages 30-ton and up hydraulic presses are the accepted method for bearing installstion… but only with the right fixturing… you do not want to laterally overload the bearings.

Don’t worry about the lube. The surfaces aren’t supposed to turn against one another anyway. Pack the assembly if needed once you’re done… although most today are sealed bearing sets anyway.

I have read a lot more on the subject since my original post & think I’ll try the method . The only thing I was really concerned about the method was the possible problem of melting or damaging the grease already in the bearing . It is a sealed bearing & no way to repack .

Does the person who owns this vehicle even know that you really don’t know what you are doing? What will it cost to have the bearing pressed in by someone who knows what they are doing , $100.00 ?

@“VOLVO V70” The person that owns this vehicle is working on it with me . Seems the only suggestions you have for people is to have their vehicle towed to a shop .

The heated hub isn’t any hotter than the bearing is designed to handle. Wheel bearings get very hot from the heat generated by the brakes – no worry.

@UncleTurbo Thanks , those kind of answers are helpful .