Subaru, 100k miles, transmission shot - repair or buy new?

That suggests transmission fluid was leaking onto a hot exhaust part, a transmission cooler line failure will do that.

value is 5-8k? and your story started out with $3-5k new trans required. and you sold it for basically no damage value? which should tell u buyer was either a poor business man or knew it had a very simple fix required. either way, u did not want to fix it. people sell cars for many reasons.

Only you can make the right decision. Asking on a forum will only confuse you even more.

Out of curiosity, did the repair shop tell you what specifically is wrong with your transmission? A leak could be caused by many things (blown seals, broken hoses or serious cracks and other things). Some of these problems may not be that expensive to fix. I was just wondering.

From personal experience
I was once told by a mechanic that I needed a new transmission for my Dodge Durango. I declined and barely got the car back home. I was able to “fix” my shifting problem by replacing a couple of sensors that cost me a touch over $100 and less than an hour of work

The slipping and burning smell (which could mean burning clutches) quite likely means the transmission was toast. You certainly got a good price on it so congrats.
Leaks are not very common on Subaru transmissions so I was a bit curious about the cause of the leak.

Anytime in the future you’re faced with a serious mechanical diagnosis I would suggest you specifically ask what the problem is and try to get a second opinion if possible.
Per kurtwm2010’s comment I’ve seen many, many cars diagnosed as serious when the real problem was something embarassingly simple. Major engine work when the cause was a 25 cent fuse or multiple repairs and end diagnosis of a burned valve when the cause was a bad plug wire for instance

Personally, as a former Subaru mechanic and service manager I like Subarus as far as the cars go. It’s corporate Subaru and their policies is where I’ve gotten crossways with them at times. The motoring public doesn’t see that side of it.

That’s the stuff that keeps some transmission shops operating.

Isn’t it amazing how one little bad plastic, external, shift sensor can throw a transmission (and the vehicle) into limp mode and pump out several DTCs that make it look like the transmission is toast?
CSA

But sometimes the relatively expensive diagnosis is accurate

A few days ago, I had a vehicle, which DID have “several DTC’s”

By spending some time reading the parameters for setting the codes, some electrical troubleshooting, and common sense, I was able to conclude that the real culprits were a brake lamp switch and the transmission control module . . . which was internal to the transmission and was part of a large “plate” which included transmission fluid pressure switches, etc. It was bolted on top of the valve body, so that had to come out first

Sure, it wasn’t a quick repair. But at least I didn’t just say “This vehicle needs a rebuilt transmission” right from the start

I suppose AAMCO might have sold the customer a rebuilt transmission, without even doing any proper diagnosis. Or maybe their “proper diagnosis” would have led to the rebuilt transmission, anyways

Dropping the transmission was something I wasn’t looking forward to, anyways, as this was a 4x4 truck :smirk: