Stymied by bad oil change

It’s easiler to accidentally drain an automatic tranny than a manual, just b/c or where the drain plug is usually located, and what the case looks like. OP, is your car a manual tranny or automatic?

Is there some reason that you won’t at least look at the ATF level?

Car is automatic.

I will check the transmission fluid level tomorrow. I’m not currently with the vehicle. The plug was 3/4". The pan it was removed from was covered in oil. Not sure if it was steel or aluminum.

Thanks again all.

I don’t know what model year you have

On my brother’s 2010 Mazda 3, the engine oil pan is cast aluminum, and the drain plug is horizontal

The transmission pan is stamped steel, and the drain plug faces straight down

FWIW

Here’s a prerty good show and tell of the oil change procedure for a Mazda 3. OP, does anything look different than what you did?

That link didn’t make it completely clear, but I did come across this page and… I think I drained the transmission fluid. That guy’s fluid is dark too. I’m kicking myself at the thought of it. Again, I’ll confirm tomorrow, but I feel like a horses ass at the moment.

@GeorgeSanJose

That’s a very good article you posted

My brother’s car has an old school spin on filter, not a cartridge

The author of that article said that lately, he’s not been replacing the cartridge housing o-rings. I’ve seen guys get themselves into trouble by not replacing them. They do get hard and flat, and may not seal properly a second or third time.

And as for that belly pan . . . I disagree that somebody choosing to NOT cut a hole in it is a “sucker”

That belly pan has more than one purpose. It’s a sort of splash pan to catch leaking fluid and prevent it from hitting your driveway. But it’s also a sort of skid plate. I prefer to leave belly pans unmodified

Don’t beat yourself up. This mistake is not at all uncommon for newbies, especially on some vehicles. Unfortunately, it can damage the transmission and the engine both for different reasons. Hopefully once you get the fluids right the symptoms will disappear.

With the trouble the OP had with this oil change I hope he had the dealer service the new 2016 he wrote about in December 2015

@im1dermike:
Even though this board is filled with an amazing depth of technical talent, each one of us has a story or two like yours in our past.

Buffoonery rectified. This morning I filled the empty ATF tank and did another oil change. Afterward, there was one or two instances of skipping and smoke out the tail pipe. I’m hopeful this little bit of smoking was just residuals from basically double filling the oil and the instance of slipping was just the transmission fluid working it’s way through the transmission. I’m going to keep an eye on it for a few days and pray no damage was done to the trans.

Thanks again.

Hopefully you used the ATF that is recommended in the manual. Some models are very sensitive to that.

Indeed I did. M-V

A few years ago I changed the oil in a 2000 Camry V6, my first time on that car. Indeed, when I went to move the car it wouldn’t go up an incline. Opps, when I check my work I had drained the auto tranny and not the oil at all.

This is a pretty easy mistake on most FWD cars. I quickly found the real oil pan drain on the side of the motor. No harm done in my case but it had me going for a moment.

Glad you used the correct M-V fluid

Believe it or not, a lot of guys mistakenly think that means Mercon V . . . not so

And thanks for the updates

@db4690 : wait what? The guy at pep boys said M-V was Mercon-V.

Just called another location and was told the same thing

Pep boys is NOT an expert on anything, except taking your money.

From a Mazda PDF: (Bulletin No: 05-005/08)
CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTO- MATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 - 2008 Mazda3 A/T
2006 - 2008 Mazda5 A/T

NOTE:
Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing ATF. Using the wrong ATF may cause shift quality complaints or may even damage the transmission.
ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.

Model Required Service Fluid Mazda Part Number
Mazda3 ATF M-V (TYPE M5) 0000-77-112E-01
Mazda5 ATF M-V (TYPE M5) 0000-77-112E-01

I’m sick to my stomach right now

Tomorrow I’ll take it to my shop and have them flush the transmission and add the correct fluid. My main concern at this point is if there is any damage to the transmission. Should I have the shop see if there is or will they be able to tell without deconstructing the trans which I assume would be expensive?

Then I guess I’ll take pep boys to small claims court.