Stuff dishonest car dealers used to put in the oil of worn out engines?

Quote; @Bing;That was back when all the cars had rust holes on the fenders, doors or wheel wells.
When did this stop, and how did it miss my area.

Yosemite

Its nothing like it used to be back in the 60ā€™s. I think in the late 70ā€™s early 80ā€™s they really started to do serious rust prevention with galvanizing, plastics, better designs, and dipping the whole cars. You still gotta clean the mud off, but except for some makes and models, it is a greatly reduced problem.

I love that video. Despite trying, however, Iā€™ve been unable to find the significance of the phrase ā€œtonight weā€™re going to party like itā€™s 1699ā€. My best efforts have been unsuccessful in finding out the significance of that date.

Despite trying, however, I've been unable to find the significance of the phrase "tonight we're going to party like it's 1699". My best efforts have been unsuccessful in finding out the significance of that date.

Taken from the Wiki - Amish Paradise.

The line ā€œTonight weā€™re gonna party like itā€™s 1699,ā€ is a not-so subtle jab at Prince and his song ā€œ1999ā€. Prince is one of the very few artists in the music industry who has consistently refused to give consent and endorsement for Weird Al to record parodies of his songs.

I thing the date is just a date that rhymes with 1999, but a time when all people lived like the way Amish live (or pretend to live) now.

I have to disagree with you @Bing. I believe that the rusting problem is just as bad as ever.

I contribute some of the rusting to the use of inner fender well covers. Or at least I donā€™t think it has helped the problem of rusting wheel wells. I think that as we drive on the wet roads that have been saltedā€¦that salt water is thrown up under and some salty mist makes itā€™s way behind those wheel well covers. There it collects and dries into salt scale in small crevices and areas where it does not drain away.
Then when the spring rains come and we drive, that fresh unsalted water is not rinsing the underside of the wheel well.
Even the best of wash jobs is not going to get all this salt residue rinsed off the underside.

I have a Dakota with the fender flares and I also think that these are nothing but traps to hold that salt in that runs off the fender and seeps behind these flares. I tried to remove mine on my 2003 but gave up for fear that I would do nothing but make the problem worse. Those rusty old screws are there to stay.
My drivers door rocker panel also has a hole big enough to fit my fist through.

Looking at my truck from up on a lift the floor pan and everything looks pretty good, but at the pinch welt out it is a rusting hulk. Well not quite that bad. The pinch welds are still strong enough to jack the truck up with.

There is a local junk yard that lets some people (Iā€™m one) go into the yard and remove parts themselves. Iā€™m always in awe at the old 40s and 50s vehicles that are total surface rustā€¦no paint left to be had. Yet there is not a rust hole in the entire vehicle. Iā€™m sure these vehicles were brought there before salt was used on the roads and of course I think the steel used was thicker back in those days.

Yosemite

Weird Al sure got one thing wrong. He said, ā€œWeā€™re all crazy Mennonites living in an Amish paradiseā€.

The Amish are not the same as the Mennonites. Iā€™ve lived near both groups most of my life. While there are similarities, they are no more alike than Baptists and Presbyterians.

Iā€™ve seen a fair number of late model everythings from up north which have made their way to OK and they were absolutely eaten alive by rust even though many of them were around 5 years or so old.

Some dealers buy them on the cheap, slather the underneath with undercoat, slap 40 pounds of Bondo over the visible rust holes, spot it in with some close enough paint, and off to the front line she goes to await a non-mechanically minded sucker.

Mike, I appreciate the info, but still have no idea what it all means. Was there some spectacular party referenced in Princesā€™ song? Understand that the only thing I know about Prince is that heā€™s a strange androgynous singer of some sort. I donā€™t get out much.

^@TSMB, that was Princeā€™s biggest hit! ā€œ1999.ā€ The catchphrase from that song was "tontonight weā€™re gonna party like itā€™s 1999."

Prince was a musical groundbreakerā€¦or, at least able to assemble funk and rock into a marketable fusionā€¦but his talents were lost on meā€“I was pretty much a straight-ahead rocker in my youth.

If weā€™re going to talk about Prince . . .

didnā€™t he have a song about a Corvette . . . ?

Yeah, Prince was real big in the 1980ā€™s. I had teenage female cousins who were absolutely gaga over Prince back then. (Of course that really drove their father nuts). I never liked him much 'cause of the whole ā€œrefusing Weird Al permission to parodyā€ thing. I get the impression that heā€™s a pretentious, self-absorbed egomaniac. Remember heā€™s the guy who changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol for a time, and the media referred to him as ā€œTAFKAPā€ - The Artist Formerly Known As Prince. Then he changed his name back to Prince and said the whole thing was part of a dispute with his record label.

Anybody else see the episode of ā€œChappelleā€™s Showā€ where Charlie Murphy tells the story about playing basketball with Prince? That was hilarious, ā€œWhat are you getting mad about, you know where you got that shirt, and it ---- sure wasnā€™t the menā€™s department!ā€

Did anyone mention the ubiquitous Marvel Mystery Oil? That was an old standby many used to quiet it down for saleā€¦

I have actually used Marvel Mystery Oil as a flush to clean out neglected engines after being told by someone who rebuilds engines that it isnā€™t a bad idea. His argument is that some of the other flushes like Seafoam work too well and break large particles of crud and sludge loose, where they score bearings and plug up oil passages in the engine. Marvel Mystery Oil is more gentle and slowly dissolves the crud without putting large chunks into the oil. I have done this and you will notice that the oil turns black very quick. I am guessing that this is from all the crap being dissolved into the oil or maybe the MMO breaks down and turns black itself. Either way, I donā€™t leave the oil with this stuff mixed in too long. Maybe a few hundred miles before a change and that is it.

An old friend who began working as a mechanic in the 1950s recalled finding babbit rod Chevrolet engines with strips of leather cut and fitted under the rod caps to eliminate rod knock. Filing down bearing caps was also used for the same result but more rarely seen. There were professional patch jobs done. Rod journals could be turned and polished and a babbited rod replaced on a Chevrole 6 cyliner without removing the head and if the head were removed individual cylinders could be bored out under the hood.

The down and dirty, quick and easy way to move a dog off the lot, fill the crankcase with gear oil or just add 3 or 4 cans of STP, whatever the place had laying aroundā€¦

Back in the day, engine swaps from wrecked cars were performed on an everyday basis. it was a quick, simple and economical solutionā€¦ But with todayā€™s engines and electronics, thatā€™s no longer the caseā€¦

I am sure engine swaps used to be a lot more simple than they are today. That is interesting to cushion worn bearings with leather inserts. I guess this works for a few hundred miles before it all comes flying apart.

Hi! New member here. My dads a jerk but he told me that people do this a lot when they try to sell their car through a private sale. Hope thereā€™s nothing wrong with mine as I took out a loan with my bank and am paying it off for a few years.

In 1962 or 1963 my frendā€™s uncle died and his son, (My friendā€™s cousin), was required to get an after school job, which required a car. He picked a 1957 Plymouth Fury form a crappy used car lot. All 1957 Furies were Buckskin Beige, with dual 4bbl carbsā€¦
This one was poorly re painted in purple. He loved it. No prepurchase inspection was done. He brought it to me and complained that it would not idle. Removing the air filters revealed only the shell of a rear carb; stuffed with a red shop rag.
There was no spare as the trunk floor was made from window screening, newspaper and roofing tar. They returned the car, and the dealer actually replaced it with a 1959 Ford 4 door. The Ford was not ā€œcoolā€, but it ran well.

2 Likes

Sounds like heā€™s giving you a heads up about some of the shadier aspects of selling used cars

I donā€™t know why you said heā€™s a jerk . . .

Just what is this presumably used car youā€™re financing . . . ?!

And how many miles does it have?

Please tell us you did NOT get it from a ā€œBuy Here Pay Hereā€ lot . . .

Should I respond to something from four plus years ago? Why not? But where are all these folks that used to post? Did they die or get scared away, or what?

At any rate I think if you saw the old 40ā€™s cars in the junk yard with no rust, part of the issue was the metal was a lot heavier then. Iā€™m thinking about 52 or so rust holes, especially on rockers became pretty common. I remember trying to weld a patch panel on an 80ā€™s something toyota and the metal was so thin, as soon as you struck an arc, youā€™d blow right through the metal. Paper thin.