Stuck brake caliper or something else?

RESOLUTION:

There was a tiny piece of gravel stuck between the brake rotor and backing plate and that was what was scraping and making the noise. The mechanic explained there are very small cooling air vent slots and that somehow a small bit of gravel had been thrown up such it got through one of those slots and got stuck between the backing plate and brake rotor.

The stone was worn flat on several spots so had been gradually turning and moving and likely would eventually have fallen out on its own. That would explain why the sound tended to come and go some, louder then softer.

I live near a gravel quarry with lots of dump trucks full of gravel driving the local roads, often spilling small amounts of gravel. That’s why I always lag far, far behind those trucks, especially at stop lights because when they start up the trucks often jerk and spill some gravel despite the tarps on top of the load. About a week after the repairs were done I recall driving across a particularly large batch of gravel on one of the streets. It was the next day I began hearing the scraping noise. So, I bet that’s when the bit of stone got stuck in the brake.

The brakes are in excellent shape with surprisingly little wear despite being the originals with 43,000 miles / 6 years on them so as long as they are checked every time the tires are rotated I should be good for many thousands of miles more.

The shop refused to charge me for the 10 minutes it took for them to drive the car, hear the noise, find and remove the stone. They insisted that for regular customer like me they wouldn’t charge for something that minor. I strongly offered to pay but they insisted no.

I did ask what warning tabs would sound like if/when brake pads get thin. The mechanic said it is the same as what I was hearing only typically slightly higher in pitch. He explained that the tabs are made of a fairly brittle metal and can break off once they start wearing, so if I ever again start hearing that sort of high pitched metal on metal sound from a wheel, get the car into the shop without long delay so the brakes can be serviced before the pads are worn through to the rotors.

So, I’m a happy camper! No additional repairs needed, no further ding to the bank account, car is in good shape and I’m good to go into winter weather driving conditions with new tires, new struts, repaired wheel bearing, body dings repaired / rust proofed / repainted. All in all, much to be thankful for.

Thank you everyone for the helpful feedback responses. Your regular efforts on here do help many of us learn how to take better preventive care of our vehicles which keeps us safer and also keep our cars running more miles/years, thereby helping the bank account too. You do a true public service with your time and knowledge shared here on the forum. God bless you for that.

I have what I think is a similar sound…is it really quiet like “wish wish wish wish” as the wheel turns? I can only hear mine when I have the clutch in. It seems like it only happens when I’m going around a corner to the left…

No, this was a moderately high pitched metal on metal sound. Best way I can describe it was across between a simple scraping sound and a softer, more sibilant version of what railroad car wheels sound like when going around a section of curved rail tracks. It was consistent whether the car was being steered straight or around curves. Similar to hearing fingernails screech on a chalkboard but not as loud. It did have a little of a whish whish, as you describe, that made it noticable as being timed to the rate of wheel rotation/speed.

That’s great. Glad you got to the bottom of it and don’t have to worry about it.
Thanks for following up.

Boom ! . . . Backing Plate ! . . . Nailed It !
(Well, Almost . . . I Indicated A Distorted Backing Plate Against The Rotor, But It Was A Little Stone In The Backing Plate Against The Rotor.)

Well, anyhow, I was partly, mostly right, sort of, eh ?

:wink:
CSA

@common_sense_answer: LOL I’d say you pretty well nailed it. Who would think a tiny little gravel stone could end up stuck there!

Marnet, Sometimes On Vehicles Much Older Than Your Newer Vehicle, Rust Or Rusty Metal That Sheds From Brake Rotors, Brake Drums, Or Brake Pads Lodges Between The Rotor Or Drum And Metal Backing Plate And Does Basically The Same Thing. Stones Are Less Common, But Not Unheard Of.

The good news is that it was just a false alarm.

CSA

Ah, I’ll keep that in mind for future reference way down the road in later years to come!

Now that the car handles properly again and I know I have tires and suspension I can be confident in, plus having mostly recovered from having a nasty bout of flu, it is FUN to drive again. Think I’ll ignore the household chores for a few hours over the weekend and go enjoy a nice drive on country roads away from the city to catch sight of the last few vestiges of autumn color before the wind and Monday’s coming rain knock down the last leaves.

Having nothing to do with the stone stuck in the brakes issue, learned something new this morning from the mechanic. In conversation about the car in general I mentioned that one minor irritation to me is that there is a tiny delay between when I hit the gas pedal for a quick start and when the engine truly engages for that spurt of speed, as in making a left turn when having been at a stop waiting for an opening or when rapidly accelerating to merge onto the highway. I said I missed how the 3.8L engine on my 1987 Olds Ciera had had a wonderful instant response to the gas in such situations. He explained that my Olds had a cable connection from the gas pedal so I was getting an instant effect whereas my current 2007 Impala has “drive by wire” throttle that has the gas peddle sending a message to the computer which then sends instructions to the engine. Aha. Now I know. (But I still miss that 3.8 engine.) :slight_smile:

Woulda, coulda, dida. Nothing beats being there. Done is better than said. The one thing I mentioned that was close was “least of his problems”. If you can’t guess right, let the problem be minor. It’s what I always (never) say. Hey, it’s Thanksgiving.

Yup, I grew up in the '85 version of the car with same engine. Nothing I’ve driven since then had the same instant pickup. You just had to touch the pedal and you were off. It was fantastic.

Two Of My Current Cars Were Purchased Because Of The 3.8L Engine, A Bonneville And An Impala. A Little Low Tech, Simple, Bullet Proof, Fantastic.

CSA