Street parking rant

I normally do not want a fight but won’t back down from one thrust upon me either. When someone abuses the power of their public office, it gets my fighting senses up. I would have told the officer I understand he’s just doing as told but started to document everything at that point. Badge number, date time, complaint, pictures… go tell your boss if he wants a fight to consider the consequences of widespread attention to favoritism and abuse of power by a public official…

“Somebody” does not like your truck parked more or less permanently on the street. They called the cops who determined it was legally parked…But he told the complainer he would “talk” to you about it and maybe you would move it…But since you are legally parked, he can not ticked you… Just be sure you comply with the law and move the truck every few days, perhaps switching to the other side of the street now and then…

well, my first thought was wjth whitey to park in front the offending ladies house, but, but finally having matured, and having learned to be nice to people, even people who aren t nice themselves, I realize that no one gains when pettiness is re paid in kind.

maybe she would not be offended if you just parked the jeep there instead of your truck.

Perhaps the police officer was talking to OP as a courtesy to the whining old lady

I don’t think the police officer will be back . . . it’s not a proper use of public resources

Thats why I live in acerage in Indiana, never had this issue. I would keep parking it where you do. You are doing nothing wrong,

Sell the truck to the rich old lady for 3X its value. That’s the win-win option. :slight_smile:

A few years back a quirky neighbor 3 places down the road from me complained to the police about my Ford 4x4 truck being parked in front of my own place, on the street. I make an effort to drive it a couple times a week to keep everything lubed and the carb bowl full, and I blow all the leaves and debris from under it on a regular basis, and hose it off then too. Its not an eyesore – except that it is 40 years old and has a few dings and rust spots of course. I eventually found out who it was that was complaining and I asked him why? He said I had a spot provided for me to park it off-street, so I shouldn’t park it on-street. I explained I’d actually prefer to park off street as that spot is covered, but the off-street spot didn’t have enough headroom and the truck wouldn’t fit under the overhang there. I’d tried to park there, and it wouldn’t fit. He ignored what I said and continued to phone the police, and the police were regularly marking my poor truck’s tires every three days to see if I had moved it. So I moved the truck in front of his place, alternating between mine and his every 3 days! Complaints to police immediately stopped.

It’s a shame that some people’s lives are so vacant of anything significant that they become obsessed with minutiae of other people’s lives. Locally, someone in city government went off on a tangent last year and city inspectors had a zero tolerance enforcement program for homeowners and businesses with regard to junk in driveways and carports and parking in yards. The last election sent several incumbents home and the nit picking yard patrols were a prime factor.

I would never complain about a neighbor parking his own vehicle on the street, in front of his house

I have better things to do than call the authorities about relatively meaningless stuff like that

Some local ordinances differ about parking time limits aimed at the loooong term parking of un-drivable vehicles or un-driven vehicles.
Find out if there’s such an ordinance and what that time limit is.
See if they’ve marked a tire for this determination.
If so move the truck enough to change the marker once in a while.

I mentioned my culdesac where neighbors don’t mind each other’s project , collector, or multiple vehicles. yet my neighbor to the left got a city warning label on a project Explorer parked legally on the curb…un moved… for six months.
It was the city trash or sweeper driver who complained !

However, he said that the "no parking here to corner" sign could be interpreted (incorrectly, per his admission) to mean "no parking from here to the corner 200 yards away rather than the corner 15 feet away".

“Well, officer, if someone tried to advance that theory, I would argue that the law as applied in that situation was unconstitutionally vague and therefore any citation I received based on it should be thrown out. I would also naturally have to file grievances against any officer who, in full knowledge and having admitted to me that he had full knowledge that I was legally permitted to park there, gave me a ticket anyway.”

I did get a bit more information about the person who complained about the truck. Apparently this lady has a habit of complaining about vehicles that she views as illegally parked (she is often wrong but that doesn’t stop her). She also thinks that pickup trucks are not appropriate for a suburban neighborhood and should be only used in the country (any trucks, not just old ones). Supposedly the police follow up on her complaints because she is a big donor to the city police and fire departments (>$100,000 per year). Of course, I’m hearing this second hand so I’m not 100% certain its all true.

I’m going to move the truck back to where it was and wait to get a ticket. I doubt it will happen as long as I continue to drive it like I have been (I’ve driven it about 1,000 miles in the last 6 months, so it is not a project vehicle that is rarely used). Hopefully this will be a one time issue.

Honestly, if I start getting tickets I’m just going to sell it and buy something smaller that fits in my garage. I’d hate to give in to a bully who feels entitled to enforce her opinions on others because she is rich, but this is a fight I won’t be able to win because I’m short on both time and money.

@El Padrino 1977

I think you should buy either a Chevrolet el Camino or a Ford Ranchero. Park it facing one direction one day and the other direction the next day. You would drive the old buzzard bats trying to figure out if you had a car or truck.

Sorry you have to deal w/that cranky lady @ElPadrino1977 . I think your plan makes sense. Best of luck.

Are you pretty friendly with your neighbors . . . besides the whining old lady?

Perhaps you could persuade all of the neighbors with trucks (including the next street over) to all park on your street every evening . . . for a week

Ask your friends with trucks to visit you for a barbecue. Make sure they all park within sight of her house. Come to think of it, schedule a barbecue each weekend, while the weather is still decent.

Yeah I’m sorry too you have to deal with this but just remember you could be rich one day if you stay on track. My favorites are the guys that require green lawn mowers and the ones that think you should not cut your own grass. All my equipment is red so it would be a deal breaker.

Aha, she is rich-that explains it. At least we have a DSM V diagnosis. Narcissistic sense of entitlement. She donates money to the police and expects them to ticket all truck parked in the 'hood.
How much do parking tickets run in your city? It might be fun to tinker with her. I like the idea of having a tailgate party in the street.

I think OP should put a skyjacker lift kit and super swamper boggers on his truck

I don’t think that I could sit still and take this. Principles mean a lot and I would continue to park there; after taking some obligatory pictures of the truck as it sits, the sign, etc and let them slap a ticket on it.

Sounds like a vindictive old (cough) who probably drove her husband into an early grave and ran off her kids along with any friends she may have had.