Strange Sound on Hill

Leaky fuel injector or pressure regulator is my guess.
There’s generally no need to go to the dealer for non-waranty work.
There’s a button at the top of this page “Mechanics Files” to find a good independent mechanic.

Yes, the sound was like a gunshot.

I took the car to the dealer because that was just the easiest place to go at this point.

The mechanic told me that the computer had told her that the error was “running rich.” She didn’t mention which specific codes they were, but the problem’s fixed and it ended up being a fuel pump.

@threephi congratulations!

Is that dealer going to warranty the part and the labor for one year?
It’s nice to hear that the mechanic is a lady. It’s nice to know that the ladies are just as interested in getting down and dirty as the guys. Not to mention exercising the brains, as this business is getting pretty sophisticated and technical.

I don’t know about the warranty and it’s too far for me to come back to have any further repairs done anyway.

It’s shocking how much smoother the idle is now that the fuel pump has been changed.

@threephi I will assume that the fuel pump was weak, which caused the computer to command the fuel injectors to be open far longer. In fact, they probably couldn’t stay open long enough to compensate for the weak pump.
I hope the fuel filter was also changed?
Keep driving it. That 112 engine (the V6 under the hood) is a strong design that is capable of accumulating some mileage. I worked at a Benz dealer for over 9 years, and that engine was one of the best designs, IMHO.

I plan to keep it in good shape and keep driving it!