Strange Noise-2002 Pontiac Sunfire

A strange noise is coming from my 2002 Pontiac Sunfire when I accelerate, and it seems to be getting louder. Any idea? I have about 150,000 miles on the car now.

Can you describe the noise?

It’s like a loud Humm that gets louder the faster I go, and slows down when the car slows down- like its “taking off” or “taking flight” sound of a motor running. This is the best I can explain it.

I’d give it a 75% chance of being a wheel bearing. 21% chance tire noise, 3% transmission, 1% other.

Cam chain getting loose? Cam chains can last for the life of the vehicle if you don’t frequently take the engine to redline on the tach.

I’m going with the wheel bearing if its coming from one of your wheels. the humming would drive you nuts and it would howl. If its your engine with 150,000 it could be your water pump that will make a howling noise as well. just some possibilities.

Does the pitch of the noise change when the steering wheel is turned off-center (i.e. changing lanes)? This is what happened when the front wheel bearings were bad on my 2000 Blazer. Any chance of an exhaust leak?

already changed out the water pump at 80,000 miles. This is like a “taking off jet noise”.