Stop leak works. Sort of

Well, it works good for plugging cooling passages.
Actually intake has blockoff port so stuff sort of settles there

That has, IMHO, always been a risk of stop leak products.

3 Likes

I assume stuff is in radiator. And heater core. Need to flush everything.

I know and understand that some/many new vehicles use stop leak from the factory, but I am sure it is a measured amount to the measured amount of overall coolant in the system…

That said, I have said this many times before, for 30+ years now, stop leak is stupid, it has no brain, it is by design meant to stop the flow of coolant in small holes, stop leak does not know the difference between a leaking head gasket, intake passage etc vs a small, or bigger if enough is used, through coolant passage anywhere in the cooling system…

I know and understand it has it’s place, but I have seen it do a lot of damage over the years… Again, I know it is required in modern cooling systems… I don’t need schooling in why… lol

1 Like

If I look at a used car and see any signs of stop leak ever being used, I RUN!

This stuff has its purpose and that is prolonging the life of a junker by weeks or months with the intention of scrapping it. If you want to fix it, just do it right. Stop leak will make that harder as well.

1 Like

I could not get fuel line to release. I’ve done it many times. Even got another set from AZ to use and no luck. Ended up taking fuel rail off intake so I could turn rail over to see inner clips. Got it eventually. I think one clip/finger was bent.

Sometimes dirt etc gets around the spring and keeps it from moving, normally I just spray brake cleaner up in there multiple times to clean it out and then make sure you push the line on harder (together) while inserting the tool…

Can’t get dipstick tube out of block. It goes between exh manifold and head. Has o-ring seal on tube and it’s stuck. Might be able to get some spray lube in there. Tight area. Edit:got it.

Stop leak is at best a temp or just plain cheap solution. I’ve seen it work, and I’ve seen it make things worse.

2 Likes

Left cyl is clean

Steam cleaned… :grin:

1 Like

That’s what a good coolant leak to the head will do for ya!

1 Like

I see plug electrode is indexed ok on cyl #2 but is pointing away from int valve on cyl #1. Well, turned sideways on #1.
No, im not indexing plugs

Not sure of your point?? You are not racing the engine are you?? Worried about piston to electrode interference??

I would think that if it was really a big help with fuel milage and lowered emissions that the OE’s would all be doing it on every engine… It might help some, but not worth the effort for a basic engine… I know some OE’s do it, but is that cause the engine needed it due to a poor design after the fact or they are just pushing for hyper results…

Besides that, even indexing them, the torque will change depending on thread condition (dirt, corrosion etc), so you would have to do something like tighten to X amount of inch pounds and then 90 degrees or whatever to make sure that it ended up with the correct index you wanted, otherwise they will still not be 100% perfect…

Some of the smart people might know of better reasons…

Hard to believe these “stop leak” companies haven’t been sued out of business.

Never seen a case where it “worked” without eventually being a disaster.

Gasket for Head #2. Both banks had washed cyls