Stinky

Several years ago I had dashboard issues with my 2000 Buick Regal. The dealer said there was an electrical something under the passenger’s seat that was waterlogged. The water was coming from a leak under my windshield when it rained. It cost me a lot of money to get the leak and dashboard electronics repaired.

I now drive a 2003 Buick LeSabre. I had a strong smell of spoiled garbage in my car this morning. The only other time I’ve smelled that was when water was standing under my floorboard in my old car. I can’t find any pooling water, but it DID just rain after an extended dry spell.

Short of asking the dealer to rape me again, does anyone have any suggestions?

It could be a build up of leaves, grass, pine needles etc in the drains at the bottom corners of the windshield, just under the hood. If you open the hood and see a bunch of this along the area just forward of the windshield, then look to the corners and try to clean as much of this junk out. You should be able to see the drains that go behind the wheel wells that drains the water from the base of the windshield.

This vegetation may have composted some and when wet, it stinks, and the intake for cabin air is in this area.

I believe Keith has the answer to your specific problem, but I would suggest something for the future. 

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

Now that you mention it . . . I do park under evergreen trees that drop a lot of needles on my car. I’ll definitely clean out that area. Even if that’s not the problem, that’s got to be a good thing anyway.

If that fixes it, it will be the cheapest fix ever. Thanks for the advice!

To Buickboy,
Were your back floorboards in the 2000 Regal underwater? Mine are, and I have yet to find where the water is coming from. I bale it out periodically or get the wet/dry vac and take care of it. Unfortunately it rained all day for 4 days last week and the car REEKS now. Back seat is bone dry, front seats and front floorboards as well as trunk are all bone dry. Any suggestions? I don’t notice any leak around the windshield, but I would think the front floors would be wet too if there is one. Door panels and around the windows also seem dry and sealed. It’s a '99 Dodge Neon I have had just over 9 years with 138,000 miles. Help!! t_brunson