Still need help with honda tranny

i have a 01, honda civic with a 1.7L automatic. the tranny has completly quit with no warning. and im getting a code for the torque converter cluch circut malfunction. can anyone give me any guidence on where to start?

js,

The TCC code would not cause the transmission to completely cease to function so I think there is something else going on here. This vehicle is going to either have a BMXA/SLXA transmission or a MLYA transmission which is a CVT transmission.  Can you tell me whether you have a CVT transmission???

transman

can you tell me where to find that info. i am at work and wont be home for over a week, but i can get someone else to look.

Which model Civic do you own. That will tell if you have the CVT tranny or not.

it is a LX

Not a CVT.

now what??

Well, if you lost all function, forward and reverse, its time to let a trans shop look at it. These transmissions can not be repaired beyond simple sensor/solenoid replacement without first removing the trans and disassembling. They can do simple diagnostics to direct them in the area of the trouble.

transman

well thank you for the help. hopefully it wont be tooo bad.

Even though you’re probably out of warranty, it would hurt to send a letter to American Honda expressing your disappointment in the tranny failure. It’s very, VERY odd for a Honda tranny to fail that fast. They might even help you with the repair, or ask you to let them repair it so that they can tear it down and figure out why it failed.

I have a 2003 civic hybrid with a cvt. It started slipping at 70,000. So I had a honda dealer service the trans. After 10,000 it was doing it again. At 103,000 the dealer recommended it replaced which I chose not to do($3500). At about 119,000 it completely failed while accelerating up a long grade. The “D” gear selector green light was blinking, and the check engine light came on. I put it in neutral and coasted to the shoulder. I tried to restart in neutral with no success. I turned the car off completely, waited a few minutes, and it restarted without incident. It currently drives as normal, with the check engine light lit. I have not checked any codes, but the sudden failure sounds similar.