Steering wheel shakes when braking at higher speed - again

the front brake pads and front brake rotors were replaced 2 months ago and for a while
all worked fine- the car showed the same symptons before the repair: shaking of the steering wheel-

now the shaking started again-

could this be caused by the rear brakes? at the time of the repair, the mechanic said there

was still some use of the rear brakes left-

should I ask to see the old parts if replacement is required?

napa sspremium parts were installed- I don’t know what the ss stands for-

I don’t see how rear brakes can cause the steering wheel to shake. Maybe your front brakes are particularly sensitive to the way the lug nuts are torqued.

thanks for your reply-
the car is in the shop next week- I’ll post the findings-

Try a couple of hard stops from about 60 mph. Two should be enough. The heat built up should clean off the rotors.

1 Like

Brake shudders can also be caused by things not related to the brakes. Loose wheel bearings, suspension or steering components, and in some cases even tires.

i just got a car that owner said had new brakes, rotors, wheel bearings. 1 side looks to be true. 2nd side does not look new. i get a little vibration with light braking but vibration goes away with moderate braking. point is i believe 1 rotor is new and 1 is not so perhaps 2nd rotor is not true? maybe OP’s brakes are kinda ok, kinda not ok.

Could also be a bent rim

thanks for the reply-

the mechanic did a test drive, acknowledged the shaking, determined
that the the new pads and rotors are defective-
replaced all again with a new set of Napa parts at no charge for parts or labor-
considered all still under warranty -

thanks for the thought-

the mechanic did a test drive, acknowledged the shaking, determined
that the the new pads and rotors are defective-
replaced all again with a new set of Napa parts at no charge for parts or labor-
considered all still under warranty -

Good to hear you’ve got the problem resolved. Good on your shop to stand by their work.

This is the only non-dealer garage in a 40 mile radius, I trust.
I used 5 other different car repair shops before, with all, there were issues of
attitude, workmanship, cheating with parts, lack of training. Two of the places I reported to the state attorney general’s
office. I should have reported everyone of them. Not that it did much good,
weak or no consumer protection in this state as I found out.