Steering Noise

I have a 2006 Sebring Convertible with 26000 miles that’s developed an intermittent steering noise. It appears only after a long, high speed freeway trip and disappears during short local trips. It’s never there when I bring the car to the dealer and they can’t find anything wrong. The noise is a grinding, squealing, chirping kind of sound when the steering wheel is turned to the left and the car is going slowly. I’m concerned about safety of the steering system. Maybe this has happened to other 2006 Sebring Convertibles and someone can explain what us happening.

Can you describe the noise a little better? Does it only occur when turning left?

This type of problem occurs more on older cars when the rack or the pump starts wearing out.

It’s only a 2006 with 26000 miles–not an old car. Turning the steering wheel back and forth between left and center while going under 25 mph. To me it sounds like a grinding or squealing or chirping sound. That’s the closest I can come. Again, it ONLY happens when I get off the highway and start driving local roads after 3 - 4 hours of turnpike or freeway speeds–but then it disappears within 24 hours with local driving. Naturally, the warranty expired today. Weird!