Status of America's Classic Car Magazines?

Now that cashless tolls are coming to most toll roads, that will be the norm–at some point. For those who don’t yet have cashless tolls in their area, there is a gantry mounted over the area that used to house the tollbooths, and a high-resolution pic is taken of the back of every vehicle, with the license plate being very visible.

If someone has EZ Pass, then they get a monthly bill from the bank that administers that program, instead of getting a bill from the agency that runs the cashless tolls program. At one time, I had EZ Pass, but now that I’m retired I take toll roads so rarely that paying the monthly “membership” fee for EZ Pass would be a losing proposition, so I like cashless tolls. No delays at tollbooths, no need to carry change, and fewer toll plaza collisions.

The only downside is for unskilled folks, for whom job prospects are rapidly shrinking. No more elevator operators, no more parking lot attendants, and… soon… no toll collectors. The moral of the story is… Make sure that you learn some sort of marketable skill.

2 Likes

??? The word “car” appears in the thread’s title.

I was referring to…

Yes, we normally stray a bit from purely car-related topics, but I maintain that what you posted above is extremely far from anything related to cars.

OK, I see, you were referring to non-car-related posts like this I presume :wink:

I was following onto a post (or two) that brought-up that particular topic.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that you initiated the discusssion of jock straps.

I’ll grant that jockstrap photos on popular American magazine covers isn’t car related, but I was responding to a post above about the insipid nature of popular magazines seen on newstands. And the thread is about magazines. On the other hand, this thread is completely unrelated to the the way cream cheese is placed in a bag.

I have the Illinois toll transponder compatible or the same as ez pass. There is no monthly fee. I think I paid $10 for the device at the start. A balance in the account and replenishes with a debit card when needed. Don’t have to do anything. Deducts from the balance when driving through a toll station. Good in many states and even Florida and now Minnesoa

I know not what this monthly fee issue is? I just get an e mail everybso often to update the card and change passwords.

1 Like

The Oklahoma Turnpike toll pass ( or plate reader system ) does not have a monthly fee . It does replenish at the rate of 40.00 and I get a statement online every 90 days .

Back to this thread’s actual topic of Car Magazines, another factor worth considering is that the UK publications and the events they report on are often teamed up with local charities. The classic-car events reported on often raise money for the charities. I don’t recall that being a major focus on the American car publication.

There is really only so much to say about car magazines without veering off into check out counters and toll ways. But tell us again why you are upset about scantily clad ladies on car magazines?

20+ years ago American car magazines did tend to have a lot a bikini-girls on the covers, esp the versions intended for news-stand sales. . But for some reason this has been less common. Readers have probably all seen all the bikini clad girls they want. Or maybe more bikini girls on the covers is all that is needed?

I didnt realize that this had decreased over time. Something to consider in the decline of magazine sales. But then correlation does not necessarily mean cause.

Hot Rod’s monthly issues always seemed to include an article about past issues and their covers, 20 years ago, 40 years ago, 60 years ago. Even just 20 years ago there seemed to be a lot more bikini girls on the cover. They’d often mention the model’s name and why she was chosen for the cover. This may seem hard to believe, but the models seemed to have very little interest in cars!!! … lol …

Are you saying that when age verification is required the self service machine won’t affect the sale? I’ve never encountered that at Home Depot or Lowe’s and we don’t have alcohol sales anywhere but liquor stores. I was faced with this issue when on an extended business trip in Lompoc, CA. I picked up some groceries at Albertsons and the alcohol section was clearly marked that there were no sales at the self service lines. No problem. I just checked out at the employee operated express lane.

In TN you have to show ID to the self service checker person and they have to OK it, if ordering online, then you have to show ID to the delivery person at drop off, as well as at curb side pick up…

1 Like

Additionally, companies that sold auto parts or auto accessories frequently published calendars with that type of photo. It was almost impossible to walk into a gas station office without seeing calendars such as these.

2 Likes

When I first got one of those transponders, there was no monthly fee, but a fee was added–in both NJ & NY–around 2003. PA still issues EZ Pass transponders without a fee.

Never affected my purchase. Yes, our grocery stores in FL have alcoholic beverages. Likewise is I need/want gas or oil additives I know age verification may be required.
Sam’s allows you to scan items on your phone as you put them in your cart, then pay through the phone app. If I alcoholic beverages, age is verified when exiting the store.
BTW, “hard liquor “ are sold in separate stores within the same building as Sam’s or Wally World.
Now to make it car related, Walmart has 20 spaces reserved for curbside purchases, then three spaces in another area of the parking lot for hard liquor curbside pickup. Those spaces generally are occupied by empty cars.

I’ve had EZ-pass for decades. No monthly fee. For a while MA would charge you for the transponder. I got my first transponder from NY because at the time NH didn’t have EZ-Pass. Once we got it I switched to the NH EZ-Pass because NH residents get a discount at tolls.

Several stores I go to require ID verification. Purchasing beer or Wine - Most stores now ask even if you look 90. The purchase can’t continue until they type in your ID number. I get a veteran discount from Lowes so I have to show my ID there too. It’s no problem with self-checkout. I just have to wait for an associate to show up and verify my ID. Takes an extra 30 seconds.

Total Wine and More is the only liquor store near me that cards every purchaser. I usually shop at two other liquor stores and neither cards me, nor does one that I occasionally shop at.

Fun fact: By law, no one is allowed to owned more than one beer, wine, and spirits store in MD. The owners of Total Wine goes around that by one owning the Total Wine store in Laurel and the is part owner of Beltway liquors in Towson. Total Wine and More is so large that I imagine that the also have a distributor license and facility making money on distribution by TRUCK to themselves and other liquor stores.