Starting problem

Help! 1974 Pinto, 2.3L automatic - key in to start, and noise comes from the area of the solenoid, not so much a buzz, just weird sound. Replaced solenoid, took off starter and had checked. Everything OK, battery is OK, replaced all cables. Put it all back together and tried to start again, exactly the same. Any ideas where to look next?? Thanks Dave

I’d be looking for some sort of relay. In any case if you get a length of garden hose (like three or four feet) and use it like a stethoscope, you should be able to find exactly what is making the noise.

Sorry, my problem is not so much the noise, as that it will not start. I just don’t know what to check out or replace next. Thanks for any help, just a poor boy, looking for a way out of this - Dave

One thing I forgot to add, by not start I mean: will not turn over. When I turn the key to the start position, that is when I hear the noise coming from the solenoid. (As if the solenoid is bad) Just to double check, I’ve tried it with two different new solenoids, and it is the same reaction. Thanks - Dave

Is it possible that this starter doesn’t fit exactly right and needs to be shimmed? I don’t know how to test to see if this is it, Just an idea.