Starting issues with 5 speed, '99 Accord

'99 Accord, 5 speed

180,000 miles

Arlington, VA

Last Fall/Winter: I would get in my car, go to start it up, and nothing would happen. I would fiddle around with the clutch and shifter and eventually, it would start. This happened 4-5 times throughout the season.

This Summer: We were driving home in heavy evening traffic and I accidentally stalled out. I went to start it back up and it would turn over but not start. After trying multiple times, it eventually started.

The same thing happened last week when I was going to the store (early morning). It was turning over perfectly but not starting.

Both summer days were near or in the 90s.

I took it into my shop and they said that they could not diagnose the problem unless it happened to them. I did not like this answer since it is happening at such sporadic times.

I have owned this car for 8 years and this is the first problem that I have ever had with it. The good news about all of this is that the car eventually starts up but I don’t want to take my chances and end up stranded somewhere.

Thoughts?

The no crank problem might be caused from a defective clutch pedal interlock switch. This switch prevents the starter from operating unless the clutch pedal is depressed. The no start in hot weather problem might be caused from a defective PGM-FI relay or main fuel pump relay. This is located behind the dash, above the drivers left knee. And since Honda vehicles are notorious for this relay failing in hot weather conditions, it might be worth looking into.

Tester

Is it possible to test the PGM-FI or fuel pump relay? Do you think the winter and summer starting problems are completely different issues?