Starter

I have a 1994 Chevy S-10 with 130,000 miles on it. I’m trying to keep it as long as possible. Lately, when I start it up it’ll grind a bit then start up. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn’t no pattern. This morning while trying to start it…it just clicked. At the next try it started right up.

Does it sound like I need a new starter? I don’t want to take it to a car repair place without knowning something. Can someone help?

Yup. That’s what it sounds like. But you might get lucky. It might just be a corroded cable connection.

If “grind a bit then start up” means the starter is turning the engine over but it isn’t starting instantly, then you may need a tuneup too.

This used to be caused by a sticking solenoid (hence to hammer tap treatment) which used to be mounted on the starter. Also, a poor connection or faulty ignition switch could be the cause. The last time type of thing happened to me I needed a new battery, and 6 months later a new starter. We do nor have enough info to diagnose this by email, but the starter circuit, including cable, starter, battery, solenoid should all be checked out. This does not take long in a good shop. From your description the chances are good that you need a good rebuilt starter.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t want to go to the auto repair completly in the dark.