Starter Problem?

Pretty much every time I turn off the ignition and take out the key I hear the “ding, ding” signal that typically alerts that the lights are still on or the shifter is not in park. However, all is well. The lights are off and the shifter is in park, for example. The only way I can get the signal to go off is to reinsert the key, turn on the ignition briefly and then turn it off a second time. This usually does the trick. The car is a 1994 Nissan Sentra. Thank you for any ideas you may have about what is wrong and how to fix it.

No. I don’t think this is a starter problem.

I expect you may have a door that is slightly ajar or the door switch is going bad, or the neutral safety switch needs adjustment or is going bad, something like that, which is confusing the ding-dong alert computer. It could be a faulty ignition switch too.

You know what NiskyGirl? Me, I’d just ignore it. Hope it goes away. Or wait until it gets worse, then it will be easier to diagnose.

I’m sure the problem can be fixed, but fixing it may prove fairly expensive to diagnose. Any mechanic trained in Nissan electrical systems should be able to fix it for you.

Thank you GeorgeSanJose for your suggestions. I am grateful.