Squeaky brakes

I brought my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country mini van to the dealership to have the heater repaired. While the van was in at the dealership, the mechanic inspected the brakes and recommend that we replace them (front and back) as they were getting low.

I had the brakes repaired and after only two days of driving they began to squeak when braking. I brought the car back and the mechanic said they needed to be “deglazed.” They did this and sent us on our way.

A day later, squeaking again. Now, I even hear a bit of a slight squeel at times when driving at low speeds (in between stop signs around the city), but always when coming to a stop. Brought it back to the dealership and after a bunch of back and forth about glaze and city driving, I was told the rotors need to be recut.

I am not sure if I am getting the whole story from the dealership as I was having NO brake problems whatsoever before brining it in. I had the brakes replaced at their suggestion and now they can’t get them to stop squeaking after three visits.

Do I have to get the rotors cut? Or is there something else they should be trying? Should I take the car someplace else for a second opinion?

Disc brakes squeak,that being said if the mechanic performed all steps in a brake job to perfection used quality pads applicable to your driving demands you should not be having problems.

My point,somewhere a step was not done or not done right.

If I were you make a case as how you have returned many times,you wern’t even there for a brake job and you don’t want your rotors cut again,you want new rotors and a different quality pad and a different mechanic to do the work,…we can ask.

When new brake components are installed, there’s usually some sort of break-in procedure that’s specified to get the brake pads to seat properly to the brake rotors. This usually involves applying the brakes firmly after reaching a certain speed, and repeating this several times. If this isn’t done, there isn’t any friction material transfer from the brake pads to the brake rotors. And this can result with the noise problem you’re having with the brakes.

Turning/cutting the rotors isn’t going to help. That’s because new rotors have the proper friction surface finish on them for the pads to seat properly during the break-in procedure. And I highly doubt that correct finish can be reproduced by turning/cutting the rotors so that the pads can seat properly.

I would suggest that the dealer start at square one if they want a satisfied customer. And that is to replace the rotors and pads with new parts, make sure they’re installed correctly, and then follow the proper break-in procedure when replacing these components. Otherwise, they’ll never get rid of the noise coming from the brakes.

Tester

It sounds to me like your rotors have been glazed up and need to be cut or turned. Many times the rotors are not thick enough to turn and need to be replaced. The rotors themselves have the minimum thickness stamped on them. Pads can squeel when brand new and first installed, after a day or two of driving, or after a month or year of driving. They make anti squeal pads that go on the back of he brake pads, as well as anti squeal material you spread on the back of the pads to reduce the squeal which is nothing more than a vibration at a certain pitch, so it sounds like a squeal. I’m betting the never added the antisqueal material to the back of the pads, because it takes time and is messy.