Sputtering? idle and then brakes

I drove home from work on friday night in my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. I noticed no problems and for the first time in a while, I actually had the weekend off. So naturally I did nothing on Saturday, and today, Sunday, I decided it might a good idea to stock the fridge. Well I go out to start my car and as soon as the ignition works, I watch the RPMs fly up to about three and it begins to sputter and it goes out. I doubt its the oil, I changed it a few weeks ago, I think it might be a filter, a pump, or maybe an electrical issue. Also when I lightly tap the gas, it flys up to 4 RPMs, like I am flooring it, and I try to apply the brakes I get a great deal of resistance as if it doesn’t want me to shift to reverse. What advise do you guys got?

You most likely have a vacuum leak into the intake manifold. Since the brake pedal is feeling stiff even though the engine is running, it is likely that the brake booster is the source of the leak air. Listen down under the dash on the drivers side for a hissing sound. If you hear that, you probably do need a new brake booster. Have the car towed to a repair shop as the car is undriveable in its present state.