Spun bearing on 2018 Ford F150

Again… I’m sorry to hear you had to go through this entire situation… There is no silver lining I’m afraid.

I mentioned this before, and it may just be my naivete showing but have you tried to discuss with Ford the possibility of going “Dutch” or somewhere’s about in re-powering the vehicle.

If you use flattery and kind words you might just be able to find a sympathetic dealership who would entertain the idea, so that you can remain “loyal” to Ford your “favorite brand of all time” and also tell them how surprised you are at such an issue arising in the car maker you and your family have remained loyal to for generations… even if none of this is true… you catch my drift? You will catch more something somethings with Honey than Vinegar type of deal and all you are asking is for some assistance in re-powering a 2yr old vehicle that you purchased in good faith etc etc… Forget about them covering the entire enchilada, that ship has sailed…so go for second tier…ask them to assist in a re-power. Couldn’t hurt your situation from where you currently sit… I think it’s worth a shot. You may have to kiss some major butt…but… still…its better than what you gots.

Trust me, I’ve tried it all.

1 Like

Sorry to hear man. Now…back to the patient… You know a spun bearing is not the proverbial end of the world in engine land. It is actually repairable. The only trouble here is that you just dont know how widespread the damage went. The bearing that spun is just the loudest victim at present… there may be several others on the verge of this condition. Not to mention the cams…everything really.

I guess I was trying to say you can repair an engine with a spun bearing, its not that difficult really… but there is that question that must be asked… How widespread is the damage?

Re-Powering is a possibility but with so new a vehicle I cant see engines going “on the cheap” just yet.

What engine did this have in it btw? Is it one of the turbo V6’s? I dont think I read which mill we are actually discussing here.

In Georgia you can have lawyers in small claims, but the lawyer I spoke to said the shop is going to lose, then appeal, and it will go to magistrate court, which is where it will get expensive.

With alcohol on premises it sounds like they do not deserve any good reputation they have. Imagine a small amount of alcohol in the system and crashing into a school bus during a test drive which could lead to the deaths of children.

A word about reputations I used to work with a guy at a Subaru dealer who quit and went to work for himself at his farmhouse on a major highway. This guy grew quickly and eventually owned 3 wreckers; two small and one big one. He passed away in 2011 but had a fantastic reputation and everyone for miles around loved him to death; including people who caught him screwing them over. Gluttons for punishment is the operative phrase I guess.

Everything was jury rigged, hacked, cobbled together, and in a number of cases a repair might not have even been done at all. When a problem arose after someone go their car back it was always another problem. Always. One engine rebuild he did on a hot little 302 out of a 69 Camaro Z-28 was nothing more than a trip to the car wash and half a dozen cans of Chevy orange paint. One engine rebuild had problems and the owner pulled the oil pan to discover a double handful of dead leaves in there; and a worn out engine.

Everyone in the county and for 4 counties around swore by him though…

1 Like

If you honestly believe the engine is a reliable design, and that the damage was caused by neglect/improper maintenance/improper servicing, why would you do this? Logically, you would repair or replace the engine, then keep the truck and drive it until the wheels fall off.

It should be noted that the Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado are commonly used as work trucks by contractors, and that many of these trucks are driven hundreds of thousands of miles–on the original engine and transmission. If there was a pattern of engine failures, it would become well publicized because of the number of businesses and government agencies which rely on these trucks as fleet vehicles.

Therefore, if you decide to replace the engine, it should be possible to find a low-mileage used engine for a decent price. There is no reason to believe that the truck will have further problems once the engine is replaced.

1 Like

I suspect that this is one of the Turbo V6’s …the bearing issue could have been caused or accelerated by too much boost. I believe there are a host of known issues with the Turbo V6’s not sure what they are, but I know they are having problems…some related to the direct injection…others, not.

Who knows… with such a new vehicle, the only real recourse is to re-power and drive the wheels off it to try and recoup the expense by using the truck up to the max.

After he passed away and “the truth” emerged . . . did people finally admit they were wrong about his skills?

No. People knew of him and yet they would still return to him even after getting screwed over. My cousin was one of them.

The guy lived about 40 miles away from me and my cousin lived nearby so he took his car to him for a trans fluid and filter change. Simple enough except it took 2 weeks to do…

When he got the car back the trans was balky about shifting so he drove it up to me one weekend and left it. I found the transmission pan full of dead leaves along with a large handful of dried dog food. Once running the transmission would suck the debris against the filter and cut off fluid flow. Fixed this and sent him on his way.

Cousin was mad and cursed the guy for 20 minute straight.
A month later I found out he was going back to the guy again. Can’t fix stupid and this was very common actually. And the guy had already charged the car owner for a new set of wires which the car never got…

People like this really tarnish the hxxx out the profession.

The guy had his stepson working for him and in one case they swapped an engine out all because of a bad battery cable ground. In another case he had changed everything in the book on a like new 30k miles car and then said the problem was that it needed a valve job.
The cause of the poor running I discovered? One lousy dead plug wire. At least in this case the guy never went back.

If it means anything, I told them to reassemble my truck and return it to me. I won’t give them 1 dime to do anything to it. Also, I’m going to be on them like a case of herpes. They have to deal with me forever.

The alcohol thing surprises me and especially with it being in an open fridge. I’ve never seen nor heard of that although I did work (very briefly) with a mechanic who was an alcoholic and whose bottom tool box draw was stashed full of whisky, vodka, and son. Guess that explains why he walked around all the time sipping on cokes and coffee. Didn’t come back from lunch one day and we found out from his brother he was in rehab.

Good luck on this although I do wonder about whether or not they are going to reassemble a damaged engine.

Its not broken all the way down, its still in the frame and everything. He just wanted to get to the oil pump.

Good luck :+1:

I hope you have the energy required to go the distance :running_man:

1 Like

Well I understand your anger but sometimes its best just to let it go and get beyond it. I had a bad experience with transmission guy. 7 weeks and had to have it re-done again in a year. When I drive by the place I still curse him but I’ve let go of it pretty much and learned from it. No point making it worse on yourself and then you never know for sure if the guy was right or not. I’d hate to find out later that it really was that mysterious oil solenoid that only pros understand or the previous owner.

No such thing as “full synthetic blend”.

Conventional
Full synthetic
Synthetic blend (which is what Motorcraft oil is- and a solid oil at that).

FWIW, the first post says 3.3L - that’s the base model naturally aspirated V6, not the turbo.

1 Like