Spun bearing on 2018 Ford F150

So . . .

You bought the truck with 40,152 miles . . . ?!

And you had the oil changed at 46,000 miles . . . ?!

How about between 40,152 miles and 46,000 miles . . . ?!

Did you ever check the engine oil level and top off as needed . . . ?!

Its already been established it was an oil pressure issue, not lack of oil.

I told you it was used dude just stop replying

Iā€™m not arguing with you

But can you please answer my questions

More information is always a good thing :smiley:

Seriously . . . ?!

You canā€™t pick and choose who will reply, and who wonā€™t . . .

By the shop that changed the oil two days before the rod knock, do they have any reason to cover up the actual cause?

1 Like

My bad. Iā€™m tired af.

Honestly man, i was thinking cover up, but it would have to be pretty elaborate. This shop has a good rep around here. It would have been in their best interest just to get insurance to take care of itā€¦Some good points were made about the distance I drove after the oil change. 60 miles would have been tough to do if it was no oil in the engine. Tow driver was one of those old mechanic types. We pulled the dip together, and even tho my eyes are untrained to see oil that clear, he said it seemed to be enough oil in the engine. Then we put a voltmeter on the solenoid, and got no ohms. We took a new solenoid out the pack and put it on the voltmeter, and it had ohms. We sent a charge through the new one to make it engage, and what we got is a click inside the solenoid. We did the same to the bad solenoid, and we got no clicks. I wouldnt know, but is there a way to short out a solenoid intentionally? Once again, if they would go that far to cover up, then they shouldnt be in business at all.

I guess Iā€™d listen to Nevada and OK but yeah I have had a solenoid blown out by a mechanic. I honestly canā€™t remember which car but after I told them it was not the 4th gear solenoid, he powered it up somehow and blew it out. Required a partial dismantling of the transmission to replace. Covered under warranty but the trans shop said they never go out so they donā€™t normally replace it. Turns out the problem was a cracked crank sensor instead. But what do I know? Still gotta be a reason, so back to Ford. Would a bad solenoid cause lack of oil pressure? If so, why right after an oil change? Back to the old owner.

1 Like

Their insurance deductible is likely greater than $5000, a repair shop canā€™t call in every parking lot dent or damaged radiator.

That is not what was likely to have occurred. I have seen many times were a technician drove a vehicle out of the shop with no oil after being distracted by an impatient service writer (and customer), then return to the shop to add the oil hoping nobody would notice. Sometimes the new lube techs will leave a stripe of engine oil leading around the building because they left something loose. Once years ago my service manager had the lube tech (owners son) take 5 quarts of oil to a customer that was 4 miles away after an oil change.

Auto mechanics donā€™t earn enough to have the cost of an engine replacement taken out out their check(s).

From my experience (not Ford) a dual volume oil pump can only switch from high to low, it canā€™t stop oil flow and destroy the engine. If this type of failure was know and established, the Ford tech would just say ā€œhere is another oneā€ and just continue with the repair.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦you know what else I saw, since all this has been going on. Those guys have a fridge full of beer in the back and I know they drink beer all day at their shop. I wonder if I could get a pic of them drinking beer in the shop, how might that help me out.

Years ago I rented a shop to work on ā€œside jobsā€ from 6 PM to 10 PM after my regular job. We had a refrigerator stocked with beer however if you have a beer in your hand you wonā€™t get any work done. The beer was usually reserved for the last 20 minutes of time at the shop, then ten minutes to get home.

You went from a well respected shop to a shop full of drunks on the same day, is this fiction?

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know it at the time. I found all this out as I began to visit their shop 2 or 3 times a week, to check the status to see what they were doing about my truck. I would have never gone there if I knew they were drinking on the job.

This all fell apart for 2 big reasonsā€¦ The first is the one you already knowā€¦and the 2nd which is actually as big as the firstā€¦is that this shop took out your engine and disassembled it (not Ford)

Each of these reasons were big enough to sink you on their ownā€¦and combined, they are a death sentence.

To be honest, in a few posts above I said I told Ford to tear it down first, while the truck was at Ford, and was told a the warranty decision had already been made. At that point, Ford would only accept video of them changing the oil correctly, which I tried hard to obtain
ā€¦I was also told, because the failure happened at less than 100 miles after being serviced by the shop, the warranty would automatically be denied off that. It feels like Ford went with that, and went through the motions on the diag. Who knows if getting the oil changed at the dealer could have saved anything? As it was pointed out before, they would be asking for service records back to day 1. We can talk about everything I should have done, the only thing to talk about is I should have bought another truck.

1 Like

The entire affair is rather crappy and i am sorry you are going through all of it. Doesnā€™t sound like you are one of those people who ignore their engine oil eitherā€¦not at all. So, the whole thing stinks.

What are you going to do? Its new enough to re-powerā€¦ that may be your only way out here.

Perhaps, with perseverance you can maybeā€¦maybe enlist Ford in helping you re-power this vehicleā€¦ Ask to meet you halfway sort of thing?

1 Like

That doesnā€™t surprise me, as youā€™d generally have to sue the manufacturer to invoke those rules, and unless you just have money to burn and want to make a point, suing a billion dollar company with million dollar lawyers over $5,000 is a losing proposition anyway.

That said:

This would ordinarily cause me to stick by what I said in the first place, because the burden of proof that someone screwed up and damaged the engine is on them when denying warranty claims - it is not on you to prove via video evidence that would never ordinarily be taken that someone didnā€™t screw up.

But some of the things youā€™re saying in here are making it hard to continue supporting your claims. From ā€œthis is a well respected shop full of drunksā€ to the changing stories of who said what when, to honestly your overall attitude in here when responding to people who are giving you their honest assessments of your situation.

At this point, eat the loss, part the truck out to get what money you can for it, scrap the rest, and buy another truck.

2 Likes

Only thing Iā€™ll add is that you likely signed away your rights to sue the manufacturer or even the dealer for that matter. Most contracts now have verbiage that you agree to binding arbitration in disputes with either entity.

As with most of these situations, the OP gains knowledge along the way that is not always fully disclosed in these discussions. Things like this can be frustrating for people responding:

I honestly did not see anywhere above this that explained that had been done and how. BTW- a lack of oil is one cause of a lack of oil pressure and perhaps the most likely reason.

1 Like

I never changed my story. Its just a lot of information. You have to remember, Iā€™ve been at this daily for 2 monthsā€¦I would give the name of the shop, they have good reviews on google, but then I dont want to give the name of the shop, because this thread looks like Iā€™m trashing them. I mean, I could keep posting documents to corroborate what iā€™m saying, but at this point Iā€™m just asking for opinions. At the end of the day its been established that no information in this thread is going to save me, so at this point its just a discussion.

Today I got on the phone with Ford hotline with all the updatesā€¦The agent was knowledgeable this time. He thinks its the shops fault. I went to another Ford today, talked to the service manager there. He thinks it could be the shops fault, but the other Ford dealer also didnt take a proper look at the engine. Iā€™m just going to bite the bullet and replace the engine and get rid of the truck first chance I get. Trying to sue either one of these people is going to eat me in legal fees.

In small claims lawyers are not allowed. You present your case and they present theirs to the judge and the judge decides. There is a monetary limit though depending on your location. However this looks to be impossible to pin on either of them at this point. Iā€™d want to see what the original owner had to say and the dealer that took it in and re-sold it. Even if you discovered the guy ran it out of oil and did a quick fix and sold it, no case at this point.

1 Like