Speeding traffic ticket, thanks

Hello,

I received a speeding ticket, and the officer put the wrong date to pay or appear, wrong date, and year, well, when i went to see the judge, he said he has never heard of this law, and if i could prove tickets have been beaten this way he would help me get it removed, thanks, its my 1st in 10 years, and i had a real decent reason for speeding, if there is one, thanks.

Sorry I don’t buy decent reason for speeding, even though I have felt that way a few times. In fact I got off once, I was on my MC visiting a young lady and I had put my helmet in the back of her convertible. We were both leaving and she got out before I could get the helmet. I chased after her on my bike and I got pulled over for speeding. When I explained to the cop and he saw her stopped ahead he decided it was a good reason and told me to tell her, she was also speeding. Don’t count on that happing next time.

As for the ticket, that would depend on local laws and case law. It sounds like you are going to have to find the case law or a statute reference if you are going to get out of that one.

It totally depends on your locality. If you’re in a place where the officer has to be there for a hearing, then the officer can easilly correct the informaton and chances are the Judge will let him, although a slick lawyer could probably prevent him. In states that let the officer do the “fill-in-the-blanks” form, you can probably get off if you can prove you weren’t there at the time he wrote down, although often these hearings are nothing more than rubber stamps for whatever the officer says.

Since it’s your first ticket in ten years, I wouldn’t worry about it and try and go for some sort of suspended sentance. Most places will give you a deal where you don’t have to pay the fine and it stays off your record if you don’t get another one in 6 months to a year.

1 Like

What is meant by the wrong date?
If you show up on the date written on the ticket and the officer does not appear then the ticket is generally dismissed.

I’m not 100% certain on this but I thought when Congress passed the Uniform Traffic Code some years back that things were usually standardized. This was passed to prevent abuses that used to occur in which local cops would simply nail anybody from out of the town, county, or state, issue them tickets, and then the driver was forced to immediately put up cash or go to jail. This was especially true in the old Justice of the Peace systems which those of you old enough may remember.

You did not state your “real decent reason” for speeding, but unless it was related to a serious injury or life and death situation any reason you have is not going to go over very well. Speeding to the airport to catch a plane or running late for work is not a valid defense.

Receiving a speeding traffic ticket can be a frustrating experience, but it is important to remember that speed limits are put in place to ensure the safety of all individuals on the road. Exceeding the speed limit not only puts you at risk of a ticket but also endangers the lives of others.

True, but it seems equally reasonable the officer should be required to write the ticket accurately as well.

I would show up at the date on the ticket.
Once I showed up, the cop didn’t, and for that
reason the ticket was voided by the judge.
I understand it is fairly common for the cops
to fail to show.

I expect that’s the most frequent reason for ticket dismissal. From my time attending traffic court as a spectator, If the officer shows up its pretty difficult to get a ticket dismissed. Excepting very cute 20-something girls ticketed for minor infractions.

1 Like

Hey, I totally feel for you getting slapped with that speeding ticket, especially with the wrong date on it, that’s messed up. It’s great that you’re fighting it though, and it sounds like the judge is willing to help you out, which is awesome. I remember when I got a ticket a while back and it had the wrong year, but I was able to get it sorted by showing some additional docs. Just make sure you provide all the deets and show that this ain’t your usual thing, 'coz the last thing you need is that thing showing up on your record. I just checked mine thru an online database and it is still showing, they said it can go on for up to 3 years. Having this on my record really did have some impact like car insurance rates, driving license, heck even some employment opportunities. So, it’s really great that you’re taking action. And if by any chance you’re in Oakland, you could see if the office has had other forms of misconduct --or maybe it was a simple mistake. Anyway, I don’t know the status of your fight but if you’re still on it, keep fighting the ticket and good luck!

The only thing AI lacks is understanding! It can just match patterns and repeat what it has learned. Somehow it can make sentences fit together correctly, but the overall meaning of the writing just isn’t legitimate. Looks like it spammed a link to records pages . org which directs truth finder .com . Their service is rather clever, since it appears to ask and collect a lot of other information about a person. I suspect it then uses this user collected information to present to other users so it may never need to even have access to actual government records.

yes you’re right I agree with you