Speed Limit on the Autobahn? Over My Dead Body, Many Germans Say'

I have been reading articles on that subject for over 30 years. And for 30 years there have been unrestricted sections of the Autobahn.

Fastest I have ever driven is on the Autobahn. 240 kph.

Puff piece. Lower speed limit for 10% of cars that do 140mph. 90% are joe public driving 80mph

1 Like

What else would you expect from the NY Times about cars?

1 Like

Parts of a car design like the tires and suspension system that work perfectly at 80-90 mph might well fail miserably at 140 mph, even just due to a change in the wind direction. Youā€™d think there would be a lot of pretty spectacular crashes at those speeds.

One would think thereā€™d be a lot o fhigh-speed crashes, but Iā€™m almost certain the data shows there arenā€™t. Iā€™ve lived in Italy, where the autostrada had no speed limits, and in Germany, where the autobahn is the same. Drivers there know to keep out of the ā€œspeedā€ lane unless theyā€™re in a vehicle that can safely go those speeds. If they have to get into that lane to pass, they IMMEDIATELY get back into their lane. I had a Jaguar that could go 115 mph, and in the fast lane, Iā€™d see in the rear view mirror headlights blinkā€“the signal for ā€œGet out of my way,ā€ and I would, quickly, to see a car pass me going perhaps 150mph. The most famous high speed autostrada crash was actor WIlliam Holder, going about 150m smashing into a slower car, killing the occupants. Not sure, but I think he was exonerated, because the other car shouldnā€™t have been going ā€œtoo slowā€ in that lane.

Another nail in the coffin for ā€œspeed killsā€. Speed alone as a cause of accidents is highly over-rated. As Mike would say though ā€œlive free or dieā€. In my view though, part of the whole game is to try and gain control over others and itā€™s just a means that can be used, like safety. You can make an argument against anything citing safety as the goal. Beware they come in sheepā€™s clothing.

Iā€™m not sure but I think the original purpose of the autobahn was to be able to move troops and equipment around quickly. At least in the US, the vision Eisenhower had was a quick evacuation route in case of attack. Oh and yeah I remember when there werenā€™t any around here. Can you imagine trying to get out of town now during an attack? Better to ā€œshelter in placeā€ with a tarp.

I read he was convicted of drunk driving, given an 8-month sentence, suspended.

Eisenhower commanded a convoy across the country after WW1, learned the terrible state of our roads. Somebody wrote a book about this a few years ago. ā€˜National defenseā€™ was more of a sales gimmick - remember when student loans were ā€˜National Defense Student Loansā€™ (NDSL)?. And he didnā€™t want them built in cities. The military has the right to commandeer them in case of military necessity, but what civilian is going to object to the Army using a state highway (etc.) when thereā€™s a military necessity?

While in Italy in 1966, Holden killed another driver in a drunk-driving incident. He received an eight-month suspended sentence for vehicular manslaughter. (Wikipedia)