Speed and gas mileage

I, my wife, and another couple travelling north on I75 were stopped on the highway for 8.5 hours because the sheriff of a Kentucky county closed the highway on a Saturday night because of snow. Not at an exit…at the county border…with no warning. Fortunately we had a full tank of gas so we could keep warm.

1 Like

Eh, what’s oil?

But, they are worth it to us, The Sum of Us.

I think my record was four hours getting home. So yeah before leaving work and before getting on an elevator.

Rachel Ray says EVOO, extra virgin olive oil. Must be used in Italian cars.

I hope it is not required for me to say that is, admittedly, a poor joke.

2 Likes

I just keep a pee bottle in the car.:blush:

1 Like

Should be standard equipment, funnel to a hose that exits under the car!

2 Likes

Great idea. Planes and trains do it so why not cars? We could ask the Russians how they do the removable floor panel for ice fishing.

It exits the car when I pour it out the window at a traffic light

I have two things to add to these thoughts. I’m a child of the 50’s and my family loved its Sunday Drives. My father had a “4-hour” bladder but we kids, especially my sisters had bladders that suffered from 15-minutes to 2-hours… After a while my mother started giving my father a vitamin B tablet before the drives “to prevent headaches” and miraculously, we stopped for bathroom breaks more often without all the “when are we going to stop…” whining.

Years later, I found out from my wife that my mother had given her some advice since I picked up the “Sunday Drive” gene from my father. My mother’s advice to my wife was to also give me a vitamin B capsule before the drive, but my wife shared the secret that the vitamin B capsule was really a “water pill.”

The other thought is brought to you from my more than 30-years in the military, never pass up a “pit stop” and never pass on a nap; especially when you “hurried up just to wait…”

1 Like

2 Likes

Only had to pee in a bottle once. Had an accident in my ranchero, radiator shredded by the fan blade south of Carmel headed north from big sur. Girlfriend and I in the car/wanna be a truck and no way to tell the tow truck driver time for a pit stop!

You couldn’t pee in the radiator? :crazy_face:

According to CR, their studies indicate that reducing your speed from 75 to 65 increases your gas mileage–on average–by 7 mpg with a sedan and 6 mpg in an SUV.

Here’s how one motorist in Germany is dealing with high gas prices:

Go to Lancaster PA. See it all the time. Amish country.

2 Likes

Yes, but that area also has “Black Bumper Mennonites” who drive cars. Years ago, they actually used to paint their bumpers black in order to avoid the “flash” of chrome trim on their black cars. Nowadays, they just have to order a black car.

The “Amish Market” in my town is run and staffed by a bunch of Black Bumper Mennonites, and it is fairly easy to pick their cars out in the parking lot because of the PA license plates. The market is only open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and it is usually mobbed by the locals, due to their high-quality food products.

When I was a kid, a group of teenaged Black Bumper Mennonites almost ran us off the road near Lancaster with their bathtub Mercury.

Anyway…

No one wants to go back to horses… manure, urine, horses dead in the streets… all huge health problems in cities in the 1900s.

The car was the solution!

NYC was burying 300 horses a day. Manure everywhere. It was a huge problem. No thanks

Newspapers at the time publisher articles stating that automobiles would put an end to the horrible pollution.