Spark plugs

I WOULDN’T…NGK is a far superior plug then the Bosch…And the vehicle was designed with the NGK plugs…You’ll be happier if you stayed with the NGK’s.

Thank you for clearing this up. I had them confused with spark plugs that had two side electrodes. I bought a set once for my 1954 Buick from Western Auto and had trouble with the plugs fouling out. I replaced them with the AC 44 called for in the manual and the Buick ran perfectly. I cleaned the dual side electrodes up and tried them in the lawnmower. They didn’t work any better there.

Funny thing about NGK and Denso. When I changed my plugs for the first time on my '95 Avalon, I noticed that the factory used NGK plugs on one cylinder bank, and Denso on the other. I replaced them with Denso, with no problems.

@AlfaDriver:

I know you got it from the mfgr's website, but are you [i]sure[/i] about that stuff about protons slamming around?  Absent some sort of fission process, the only way you'd have single protons running around would be to have hydrogen in the cylinder, no?

Those things look like they are designed to foul out. I had a coworker recently put a set of those four pronged Bosch plugs in an old Chevy truck. He said the parts guy said they are the best available for his truck. I just told him when he gets sick of dealing with fouling issues to put a set of R45’s in it and forget about it for a couple years or so.

It seems to come from here
http://wiki.jzx100.com/index.php?title=Category:General_Maintenance
or here
http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Wasted+Spark+Ignition&mfid=1

It’s just more proof that not everything on the internet is correct.

@tardis:

Thank you.  The second link was the one AlfaDriver posted.  I am shocked that there is something on the internet that is not correct.  I would certainly not be involved with anything like that.  Protons?  Really!

Those Bosch Platinum plugs should never be used in a car that has a distributor.
They should only ever be used in distributor less ignition systems, whether they are coil on stick type, or Siamesed coil type.

I have yet to see an old GM engine run well or better on a set of Bosch brand plugs.

I have seen lots of motorcycle engines have holes burned into their pistons while using Champions, though. No one is allowed to put Champion/Autolite plugs anywhere near my cars, motorcycle, nor even my lawnmower.

That was actually the first thing i did after buying my lawnmower over 2 years ago.
I went straight from putting the lawnmower box onto my car, and then went to the spark plug aisle, and picked up a non-Champion brand plug for it. Anyone want a Champion lawnmower spark plug that’s never been fired. :wink:

BC.

BOSCH dual tips are excellent plugs, and made a great difference in my car’s response when I installed them over two years ago. BOSCH got the first patent on spark plugs over a hundred years ago. They probably know what they are doing.

No one is allowed to put Champion/Autolite plugs anywhere near my cars, motorcycle, nor even my lawnmower.

I have one lawnmower that I purchased in 1988 and another lawnmower that I purchased in 1992. Both of them, I think, have always had Champion spark plugs and both are still running. I keep hoping that the Champion spark plugs will cause the engines to blow, so I won’t have to mow yard, but this hasn’t happened.

Maybe there is hope. My older mower has a Tecumseh engine and I heard that Tecumseh went out of business and parts are no longer available.

The brand of spark plug used may not be an engineering decision, but more of a corporate decision. There is likely a corporate or marketing connection between Toyota and NGK, especially as both are Japanese companies-they are often related in some way that is well hidden to the rest of the world. I would still go with a dual-tip plug, that is an engineering-type decision, but the brand is not.