Spark plugs

The owner’s manual on my 2000 Camry calls for dual-tipped spark plugs. Do I have to use dual-tipped plugs or can I go with the traditional single-tip plugs? Thanks.

This is a replacement you probably only do once or maybe twice in 10 years. Why cheap out on the parts? The labor is much more expensive and exactly the same which ever part you use. Use the exactly right part.

follow the manual. If you have an after market service contract follow the requirements of the contract. Generally, though there are some execptions, use the mfg. recommended replacement parts. Since things like plugs and leads are made to cross manufactures specs, the thing is you do not have to use original mfg.s parts to get the same performance from other brand name replacements. Go by the part number in the manual, and if there is a lower cost replacement the parts store will be able to find it for you in the catalog.

It likely will run with the cheaper plugs, but why. The cost difference in the plugs is just so small when you consider how often you need to replace them and even a very small decrease in mileage would cost you more than the difference in the price of the plugs.

I agree. If it states dual tip plugs in the owners manual then by all means replace with the recommended spark plugs.

Thanks. I think I’ll go with Bosch instead of NGK though.

Over the past couple of years, we have had several posts from people who decided to switch to Bosch plugs. After experiencing driveability problems following installation of the Bosch plugs, they reverted to the recommended OEM plugs and had their driveability problems resolved. I thought that I should provide this information to you.

But, if you really think that you know better than the engineers who designed the engine and who specified NGK plugs, who are we to disagree with you?

My owner’s manual calls for an NGK plug and I went with a Champion CJ-8 instead. The Champion worked just as well. Of course, this was an Earthquake 2 stroke rototiller and I was in a hurry to finish preparing my garden when the engine stopped. The nearest big box store didn’t have the NGK plug and I didn’t want to drive all over town looking for the plug.
In an expensive automobile engine, I would go with the recommended spark plug. The engineers have a reason for specifying a particular spark plug.

Have you come to a decision on Bosch vs. NGK?

Jladue:
Just curious. Why are you choosing Bosch over NGK?

I, too, am wondering why the OP wants to go with Bosch instead of NGK. I have heard and experienced nothing but bad things about Bosch spark plugs. NGK makes a very good plug, and if that is what Toyota says to use, that is what I would use. If I couldn’t get NGK, I would go with Denso, if I couldn’t get Denso, I would see if Autolite were available (probably not for this car), if not, I would postpone the tuneup until I could get NGK. NGK and Denso/Nippondenso have pretty much cornered the market on spark plugs for Japanese cars, and they do an exceptional job of making and engineering them. If this car has been good to you, I see no reason for you to start being bad to it.

I would stick with the plug that came with the car and not change brands. The folks at Toyota know your engine better than Bosch or any other spark plug maker, IMO. I have done what you’re trying to do a few times . . . say change to another plug when I found it to be on sale or cheaper or more available. In almost every case I had some problem . . . driveability . . . starting . . . mpg . . . or something which caused me to go back to the OEM plug, doubling the price of a spark plug change! My opinion . . . just replace with what is already in there. Rocketman

Single-tip will work just as well as dual-tipped plugs.

As to Bosch plugs I’ve never had a problem with them; either on my cars or my family members cars nor at either of the 2 VW dealers I worked for in which we used Bosch plugs exclusively.

Yes, I had bad luck with Bosch plugs and I have never used them since.

Last year I dropped my Nissan off at my mechanic’s shop with the instruction; put in the best plugs available since that will be the last set.

He put in Iridium tipped plugs (don’t know what make but I trust him), although the original spec. was 'platinum tipped".

Trying to save money on spark plugs, like many other parts, is “counter-productive” since the labor is ususally the most expensive part.

I believe that your vehicle has a so called “Waste Spark Ignition”. If that is the case, you will need the “Duel Tipped” precious metal plugs to keep the 100,000 mile change interval. You can use other plugs however, you will probably have to change out the plugs far more often.

Below is a quote from NGK and the link.

Distributor-less Ignition Systems are available in two types - Individual Coil Systems (also known as “coil-on-plug”) and Wasted Spark Ignition.

"Wasted Spark Ignition systems use one coil for every two cylinders. The coil provides the spark for one of the paired cylinders on the compression stroke and to the other on the exhaust stroke. Because the coil fires the spark plug on the exhaust stroke as well, it is appropriately named ‘wasted spark ignition’. In effect, the spark plugs fire simultaneously and twice as often.

One of the two paired spark plugs is always negative polarity while the other spark plug is always positive polarity. Negative polarity means the spark plug’s center electrode is negatively charged and its ground electrode is positively charged. Positive polarity is the opposite. Each time the plug fires, a rapid exchange of the protons and electrons occurs, called ionization.

The negatively charged electrons will be attracted to whichever side of the spark plug that is positively charged. The positively charged protons have much more mass than electrons, and thus cause more wear on the electrode they collide with. Hence, one plug will exhibit more wear on its ground electrode, while the other plug will experience more wear on its center electrode. If a spark plug with a precious metal on only the center electrode were to be used with this type of ignition system, there would be uneven wear on half the plugs. Although single precious metal or standard nickel plugs will still allow the engine to run, plug life will be greatly reduced.

Therefore, if a vehicle was originally equipped with dual precious metal spark plugs, replacement with a single precious metal or standard nickel plug may reduce plug life and engine performance."

http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Wasted+Spark+Ignition&mfid=1

What are you referring to as dual-tipped plugs? What brand and part number plug is original equipment?

Dual tipped plugs are also referred to as double platinum. It means both electrodes have the precious metal in them. That is why they cost more, and last longer.