Spark plug

I have a 2002 nissan sentra which uses platinum ngk spark plugs. I want to replace them. Should I use the same type or spark plugs which are 10$ a piece or can I replace them with any other type of spark plug like Baush or Autolite which are a lot cheaper?

Thanking you in advance.

I would first just check the owner’s manual to see if anything special is required - but its really unlikely that platinum is required or even recommended. A normal - less expensive spark plug should be just fine.

One reason you can go 6 years between replacing plugs is that they are platinums. If these are what the car came with, I’d stick with them. $40/$60 every six years is not something to worry about.

Other spark plugs will work just as well as the originals. The only advantage Platinums have is that they MAY last longer than regular copper core plugs.

Even Platinum plugs often need replacement at around 50k miles although the engine may appear to be running fine.
I would also point out if that you get into the habit of leaving spark plugs in place for a 100k miles or a million years this could be a problem when attempting to remove them later as they may have seized in the cylinder head. This is turn may strip the threads out when they’re finally removed.

I’ll differ a bit here. I’ve found that NGKs work far better, at least in my Toyotas. Realize that you do not have to get them at the dealer, you can get them at any VIP store. And, as Texas said, the cost is really cheap when looked at as something you only have to do every so many years.

One recommendation I’ll make is to spend an extra $25 at Sears for a beam-type torque wrench. I’d guess that the biggest single cause of mechanical spark plug problems (stripped threads, frozen plugs, and stuff like that) is improper installation and/or torquing. It’ll be an investment well made. The torque rquirement should be on the side of the spark plug box.

Platinum IS the recommended plug for this car. But it’s not for performance…only longevity.

You can use another non-platinum plug…if you can find one.

As for using Bosch or Autolite…NO…Garbage…cheap plugs. NGK are EXCELLENT plugs. You CAN’T buy better plugs for your vehicle.

$10 a plug…FROM WHERE?? You should be able to find Standard Platinum plugs for this vehicle for under $8 almost anywhere. Do a google search.

The Manufacturer Knows …
… at least that’s my theory.

I use the K i s s method : Keep it simple stupid !

I put Champions in My Dodges.
I put ACs in my Pontiacs.
I’d put Autolites in a Ford, if I had one.
I put NGKs in all Japanese engines I have.

That’s how I do it. Put in what’s called for. Japanese car - Japanese plugs. If that car calls for platinum NGKs, then put in platinum NGKs. Sounds like they have been doing the job.

If you switch to a non-platinum plug, you will have to change them more often. That will pretty much negate any savings. However, there is an advantage to making the switch. Leaving platinum plugs in for a long time increases the chances they will seize and you might not be able to remove them when the time comes to change them. If that is why you are thinking about switching, go for it.

If you switch to a non-platinum plug, you will have to change them more often. That will pretty much negate any savings.

All it does negate any savings for me…Takes me about 20 minutes to change the plugs…All I waste is MY TIME. It sounds like the OP changes his own too.

All it does negate any savings for me…

What??

Thank you all for your advice and suggestion. I was planning to buy a cheaper NGK platinum spark plug. The car came with PLFR5A-11 but I was planning to use LFR5AGP.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?MfrCode=NGK&PartType=960&PTSet=A

Let me rephrase that…

It DOESN’T negate any savings for me…just my 20 minutes of time.

I’d recommend using what’s listed as proper for your car at the parts store.

Car manufacturers “validate” a specific plug design and “lock in” that part number with a “specification control drawing”. The spark plug manufacturer then sells those to the car manufacturer against purchase orders cut to the “spec control” part number

The plug manufacturer then sells the same plug under their own part number to parts stores. It’s the same plug, but it allows the plug manufacturer to then implement changes in manufacture and improvements without “revalidating” the plug design, an expensive process.

In summary, I recommend using what the parts store lists as the part number for your car. It may be different from the part number yuou pull out of the engine, but you can ignore the difference.

I will only emphasis the need to replace the plugs more often with standard plugs. That said, I would recommend replacing the plugs more often than recommended, even if you are using platinum. It helps prevent the frozen plug problem.