Some vehicle engines have no oil dipstick - heard on the radio

True?
Sensors to detect low or no oil?
Dash indicators?

Thank you.

Doing a quick Google search, yes, it appears you’re right.

When I first saw your posting, I thought of Rosco P. Coltrane from Dukes of Hazzard. Great memories of my youth there…

Hmm, Rosco=dipstick?

When referred to physical therapy, the day I went in was casual Friday, receptionist was wearing her Daisy Duke’s.

A lot of Chargers were destroyed filming that show.

My 2008 650i has no dipstick, so it’s nothing new. Low pressure light in dash, oil temp. gauge in dash. But to check the oil, it is done through information center, and to make it even better(?) it is done at operating temperature while the engine is running.

1 Like

Some vehicles have two- one in the engine and one in the driver’s seat- heard it from a friend

6 Likes

On the level garage floor I wait for the oil to drain to the sump.
(For OCD draining overnight I insert a square of toilet paper twisted into a wick to capillary out what remains due to Letsuck’s oil plug opening on the side of the oil pan.)

And there went the normalness of the tread… :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

BMWs have had no dipstick for many years. My 2014 Audi had no dipstick but has a dipstick tube so I added a dipstick.

The cars are fitted with a level sensor that tells you the exact level just like a dipstick.

Additionally my Mustang has a level switch. Reads OK, or oil low, but it has a dipstick.

3 Likes

Do you then check your oil level sensor?

I also look athe oil in case it needs changing sooner or reveals a problem getting dirty earlier than usual.

Clearly I don’t LIKE not having a dipstick since I added one to our Audi.

Much easier to identify an overfill (bad head gasket or other), view the condition and sniff the oil. The electronic gauge does not show overfill or allow any of these other features. I think the dipstick tube was retained for a vacuum oil drain…

3 Likes

Not to change the subject but are you ok down there? High and dry?

Yeah I was surprised when my son said the computer in his bmw needed a quart of oil. No dio stick. I said what?

Although my Lexus IS has a dipstick, the Lexus app tells me when my oil is low, or so it seems.

My 43 year old Goldwing motorcycle doesn’t have a dipstick, instead it has a small glass window on the side of the engine. Works great except you have to get down on your hands and knees with a flashlight to see it.

Car makers keep adding complexity where it’s not needed.

3 Likes

My air compressor has the glass window. Reminds me I need to change the oil.

Yes, high and dry, no issues. The low lying city streets downtown got flooded as did the beach and barrier islands but not as bad as 2 years ago with Ian. This one landed far north of me but we sure felt the effects!

Thanks for asking.

3 Likes

IIRC @weekend-warrior lives near the Big Bend area of Florida and he would have had the worst of it. @davesmopar may have had a bad time depending how high his home is near Nashville.

2 Likes

All good here. I live in Punta Gorda in Charlotte County just above Mustangman.
thoughts and prayers go out to those that got hit so bad.

2 Likes

A high school councilor spends her winters there with her niece I think. I always thought I was making good progress north there with no more big bridges.

All good here also, we needed this rain, been awhile… A few inches of rain here is nothing, it is when the skinny twisty things that pop up here and there, is what gets my attention, TN is the leader in night time Tornados in the US… But yeah, we do tend to get a lot of the left overs from the Sunshine State…

We do have a lot of creeks that can flash flood, most that live in those areas live with it and know what to expect and plan accordingly…

After the devastating flood of 2010 here in my area, a lot was changed up so hopefully it won’t happen again…

1 Like