Some states are eliminating emissions testing

I think I might figure out about where his tires are going to be and throw some nails or glass down (you pick something), maybe getting a flat or 2 will stop him…
I am all against messing with some ones personal property in anyway, but deliberately being an Ahole and blocking part of your drive that could cause you damage (curb, ditch etc) or plain out making it harder on you, well that changes everything, especially if you have asked them not to…

1 Like

It’s a puzzle to me why it is even an issue. Depends on personal philosophy I guess. I presume theirs is that they’ll be happy to move their car when it blocks my driveway, all I have to do is ask.

That doesn’t seem like a valid reason to continue forcing folks to pass emissions tests. the only reason to force folks to pass emissions testing is if there’s evidence of an air pollution problem caused by cars needing emissions work. Not to prop up businesses with a failing business model.

My daily driver has never failed Marta but my tags are due the end of the year and so I drove around with expired tags until they stopped Marta for good (2 months later), then I paid for my tags (even the back dated part) so I didn’t have to drive to the next city to go through Marta, (plus the very long lines sitting and wasting fuel) which cost $10.00 plus tags were $85.00 +, now they are only about $55.00… It’s funny how the whole time we were told Marta only cost us the $10.00 check out fee for $25+ years but as soon as Marta was dropped the cost of Tags dropped another $25.00 on top of the $10.00… Some cities are only $25.00 for tags…

BTW it didn’t stop people from getting tags if they really wanted to, the Hot Rodders sometimes would have a really old title and put tags on it then transfer the tags over ever year or have a friend a county over that didn’t have Marta and use their address to get tags… So basically it didn’t do much good if you wanted to get around it…

Ive got enough lawyers in my immediate family that our last name should probably be “esquire”. Wouldn’t be the first time i had to be bailed out. And then I’d give the neighbor a good lesson about why they shouldn’t have called the cops.

2 Likes

That is a very unusual circumstance, very few drivers are faced with this problem. My service writers offer to customers to complete the drive cycle for 1 hour of labor. I normally complete the monitors on customers cars after erasing fault codes for no extra charge.

Vehicle emission testing is one of the reasons there are fewer old vehicles on the road.

Last week I was driving behind a Dodge Caravan with expired “Classic Vehicle” license plates. A Caravan is not a classic vehicle however the state of Nevada has been offering classic vehicle plates for cars 25 years or older during the last 20 years. Classic vehicles driven less than 5,000 miles each year can claim an emission test exemption.

Today older vehicles are more common the ever, the state of Nevada has issued 30,000 classic vehicle plates. Most are older daily driven vehicles using the classic registration to bypass emission testing. Beginning this year, to be issued or renew classic vehicle registration, the vehicle must have classic vehicle insurance, this will remove a lot of old clunkers from the road.

1 Like

Interesting, My antique tags are lifetime and no Marta, when we still had it, but always been lifetime…

1 Like

My Veteran tags in NH were also a lifetime tag. Then they changed the law. Now I pay a yearly renewal fee to keep the Veteran tags.

2 Likes

30,000 indeed seems like a lot. But for comparison, according to Google, Nevada boasts 2.29 million total registered vehicles. Clark County (the Las Vegas area) has 1.6 m registered vehicles.

1 Like

No testing in California for the first six years of your cars age. So your first test will be on the seventh year and every two years thereafter.

The federal warranty on emissions I think it’s eight years 80,000 miles. Plus California has some additional requirements that enhance that.

I actually think owning a car in California aside from the cost is less of a hassle than what my Texas relatives go through with their annual safety inspections.

Btw, If you’re curious why California doesn’t do safety inspections, the reason according to state officials is that they had seriously considered it.

They decided against it that it was a waste of time and expense. They claim they reviewed records of all 50 states going back decades, and the states that do the annual safety inspections do not demonstrate lower incidences of injury and death or accident rates then those who do not.

The legislature in Maryland considered annual or biannual safety inspections but settled on an alternative. The police can stop anyone with a safety violation and issue a warning. The warning requires the receiver to get the violation fixed within a couple of weeks and have the violation inspected by the police who will sign the violation form. The receiver then sends the signed form to the state police. If this isn’t done the warning elevates to a ticket. Violations typically are a nonfunctional tail light or headlight.

Pollution damages everyone’s health. It’s especially harmful for poor people who have fewer resources to pay for medical card. I moved to Pasadena in 1971, remember when I couldn’t see across the street. I remember the rare day I could see the San Gabriel mountains north of town. I remember visiting LA in the '50s, going to Dizzyland. Motorcycle messengers wore gas masks. Pollution control has been a huge success.

I have a 36-year-old pickup, no longer have to get emissions testing in NM. I don’t know why my pollution has become less harmful. I still take the same measures to minimize pollution. Any one person is too few to matter - why except old cars just because they’re few?

1 Like

In NJ, a vehicle that is at least 25 years old can qualify for special license plates, but the limitation is that it can’t be driven more than 3k miles per year. There is also no requirement for any type of inspection–neither safety nor emissions–but the vehicle owner has to go to the back door of an inspection station once each year for the odometer mileage to be verified. If you go over that 3k limit, then you lose your special license plate status.

2 Likes

Old classic plated vehicle emmisions are no where near the amount that the average home gas lawnmower puts out .

My vehicles had to pass a safety inspection every year when I lived in Colorado IIRC. There were no special-purpose safety inspection stations, most any local gas station garage would do it for you. They checked all the exterior lights, headlights, brake, tail-lights, blinkers, side markers, reverse, license plate bulb, & checked the windshield wipers, & removed one brake drum to check the brake lining thickness. I always thought this was a pretty good idea to improve traffic safety for a relatively small fee. The fee amount was mandated by state law, shop couldn’t add anything to it. The net result for my cars usually I had to purchase new windshield wipers, and the shop likely made some income from that.

Seems unlikely the police can do nearly as through a safety check just by observing a passing car. The shop where I had my truck inspected, they complained the fee didn’t cover the time required to do that job b/c checking the brake lining on a 4WD w/free running hubs takes quite a bit of time. To stay on their good-side, I’d always ask them to do another for-fee job , usually replace the gear oil in one of the differentials.

Disconnect the speed sensor to keep the miles low. How do you like that? Classic cars with electronic speedometers. 25-year-old vehicles have become too common to be considered to be “classic”.

Until recently, I saw classic vehicle plates several times each week: Hoda Civic, Nissan Frontier, Lexus ES300, etc. Before the rule change in Nevada, classic vehicle plates were used as a ploy to avoid emission testing.

North Carolina only has emissions testing in a few urban counties. I visited my son in Florida and noticed he was basically driving on racing slicks. I asked how he passed inspection and told me there is no inspection in Florida.

Yes, I recall they checked the tire tread in Colorado too. I depended on that service apparently, b/c When I moved from Colorado to Calif one of my coworkers told me “George, your truck’s tires are worn out! When are you going to replace them?” … I hadn’t even realized it, steel belts starting to show, and was very thankful they pointed it out. Off to Costco for new tires.

1 Like

It isn’t meant as a safety inspection since most cars are maintained well enough to pass an inspection, at least among the people I know.

When I was in college in Pennsylvania, a girlfriend’s father took their PA registered cars to an inspection station that would wave at her dad’s cars as they drove out with a new sticker. Not all state safety inspections are legit.

1 Like

Pearls Before Swine comic, Yesterday

Mouse: What are you so happy about?
Pig: I just realized that if global warming is going to make the earth unlivable, then it doesn’t really matter if we have a working democracy or not. I take comfort in little things … lol …

1 Like

Since you asked, I don’t like it.