Snow tyre vs Winter tyre

Winter tires do not just excel in “snow” but on ice, black ice, slush and cold wet/dry pavement.

Again…which we have VERY VERY little of MOST winters.

As for Black Ice…I seriously doubt that they much of a difference if any…And again…very very rare.

Never sleets or freezing drizzle? And the snow pack never melts during warm day and refreezes at day in late winter to spring?

They can pose worst driving conditions than snow. Snow is relatively easy and predictable to drive on.

Like I said you have no idea as you have never driven with decent winters on ice so you have no idea what you are talking about.

Never sleets or we have freezing drizzle in New England? They can pose worst driving conditions than snow. Snow is relatively easy and predictable to drive on.

Sure it does…2-3 days a year…

And the snow pack never melts during warm day and refreezes at day in late winter to spring.

The years there IS snow pack…and when it does melt…the amount of inconvenience it causes is insignificant.

I’m NOT saying that winter tires are NOT better…just that MOST of time here in NH…just not needed…90%+ of the time you’re driving on dry pavement.

First, I truely believe that the terms “snow tire” and “winter tire” are interchangable. Some would argue that “snow tires” aren’t siped, but I think it’s more important to understand the tread characteristic than to possibly get misled by the nomenclature. It’s far too common for people, including tire store employees, to use the terms interchangably.

Modern snow/winter tires use a softer tread compound, deeper tread blocks with more “relief” for the snow to clear itself, and “siping”. Siping is a system of slits cut into the tread blocks to enhance traction on ice. The slits and softer compound allow some distortion of the blocks, allowing/creating far more edges to bite into the slick surface.

Like Mike, I get by fine with all season tires, but with the caveat that I always make sur I have no less that 50% of the tread left at the start of the season. But i’ve been driving in winter weather for over 40 winters. For a newby, winter tires are a really good (and cheap) “insurance policy”. They really do make a difference, particularly on icy surfaces. Even though really bad roads are limited in number, when the roads ARE bad they can get REALLY bad, and a novice can use all the advantages he/she can get.

Dag, I know you have a long history with winter weather also, but I’ll respectfully disagree with your comment that winter tires worn to the wear bars are better than fresh all season tires. Any tires, including winter tires, are virtuallly useless on anything but dry roads. They’ll ride up into water, snow, slush, or anything else. On water we call it hydroplaning, on snow and slush ir has no name but the results are the same; serious loss of control. I maintain that all tires of all types that are driven in bad weather become dangerous when getting to the wear bars. I’ve driven both worn winter tires and new all-season tires on bad roads, and new al season tires are definitely better IMHO.

Bottom line: tires are a very inexpensive and very critical safety item. Airbags, seatbelts, padded dashboards, and crush zones may save your life should you get into an accident, but good tires will do far more…they’ll keep you from getting into the accident in the first place. Don’t skimp on something this important. If the tires are near the wear bars and winter’s approaching, replace them. If you’re uncertain whether you need winter tires, get winter tires. Err on the side of safety.

__First, I truely believe that the terms "snow tire" and "winter tire" are interchangable. Some would argue that "snow tires" aren't siped, but I think it's more important to understand the tread characteristic than to possibly get misled by the nomenclature. It's far too common for people, including tire store employees, to use the terms interchangably. __ 

I guess I should say I believe that true winter tyres are not the same as snow tyres, with winter tyres being better.(IMO)  However I live in a real world people's understanding of a term is what counts.  Sorry to say many time We may not know what the other person really means.  For example, If I were to say a girl was cool back when I was in high school most everyone would know I though she was nice and I might be asker her out.  Today I guess a guy would be more likely to suggest she get a coat.