Smoking Civic

I have a 1991 Honda Civic (1.5L, 4sp man, 201k miles) that blows a cloud of oily smoke only after descending a long hill (i.e. the car descends the hill in gear with the throttle closed, then at the bottom when the throttle is opened up, I get a plume of oily smoke out the tail pipe). It does not blow oil at all on acceleration (other than after descending the aforementioned hill), at constant throttle, at startup or at idle. Replacing the valve guides and the PCV valve did not cure the problem. If it were the rings, I would think it would smoke during acceleration, but it does not. I am stumped as to what the problem could be. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

Oh, it’s surely oil being sucked up into and past the upper ring area under high vacuum. Do a compression check. You might consider doing an Auto-Rx treatment (google) to see if ring coking is not allowing them to fully seal. It may improve the condition, but it’s hard to say with 210k on the odo and 19 years.

Well, that’s a bummer. This car isn’t worth taking the engine apart to replace the rings. I googled Auto-Rx treatment and it sounds interesting. As I have nothing to lose, I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.