Smell of gas inside car

When I use the HVAC system NOT set to recirculate gas fumes are drawn into the car. Injectors are ok. Particularly bad when it is cold. By the time my mechanic looks at it the car is heated up and it doesn’t happen. Any advice?

Year and mileage of vehicle?

Also, has the gas tank been repeatedly filled to the cap as in "topping off the tank’?

I had this experience once and the fuel pressure regulator was faulty.

Your mechanic will have to keep the car overnight so he can experience the smell on cold start-up.

thanks for the reply. 2005 chevy impala. occasionally top it off but not on a regular basis. but let’s pretend I do, what would you suggest? Thanks!

That’s already in the “plan b” just waiting for the weather to get cold again. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m thinking the charcoal canister may be close to being saturated.

Interesting … thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to try to get the car back into my mechanic this week or next. I’ll let you know what happens.

Can’t remember if I replied to you or not … I will be taking the car back into my mechanic this week or next. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestion

Guess what? You were right. One of my mechanics took it home and it leaked and is being replaced even as I type. Thanks!

One of my mechanics took it home this week and it was a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Thanks for the suggestion.

Turns out it was a faulty fuel pressure regulator. But they did check the charcoal canister as well. Thanks for the suggestion