Smart car service

Other than an oil change what does the 20K service do for a smart car? The dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg for this service.

Without the details of exactly what a 20k service on a Smart car entails, all I can do is to state the general answer, which is apparently not as obvious as I thought.

Complying with a car manufacturer’s maintenance schedule helps to keep the car functioning well, and it preserves your warranty. Failure to maintain any car will lead to subsequent voiding of the warranty, at least as that warranty pertains to the components that were not serviced.

In theory, any mechanic can service it, however, since most mechanics have never seen a Smart car, there is the possibility of a major goof on the mechanic’s part. Hopefully most mechanics would spend the time necessary to find out what they need to know about the car prior to putting a wrench to it, but I can virtually guarantee you that if you go to a “quicky lube” type of establishment, they WILL make a major mistake on this unfamiliar car.

How about posting back with a list of what the mfr specifies for the 20k service?

The owner’s manual should tell you what’s necessary at 20K miles. Dealers love to add lots of extra stuff to make money. You only need what the maintenance schedule that came with the car says you need.

You should have the owner’s manual. You tell us.

oil change, air filter change, charcoal filter change, brake fuild flush, that is about it that I could get out of them for $285

Where In The World Is A Smart Car Dealer? What Brand Car Dealer Sells These?

NO–not a list from the dealership!

As has already been suggested–Open your glove compartment and find the Smart Maintenance Schedule. It could be contained in the Owner’s Manual, or it could be a separate booklet with an appropriate name.

After you find it and locate the mfr’s list of 20k service procedures, come back to this thread and post that list. I will be really interested to see if the car’s mfr actually specifies replacement of the charcoal filter for the evaporative emissions system every 20k, since I have never heard of routine replacement of that pricey item. Is it possible that you are referring to a Cabin Air Filter?

In any event, if we get you to start reading the materials sitting in your glove compartment, we are doing you a HUGE favor, since those who fail to read and follow the Owner’s Manual and the mfr’s maintenance schedule invariably spend more on maintenance and repairs over the life of the vehicle.

Learn to “do it by the book”!
Luckily the book is sitting about 2 feet from the driver’s seat in this car, but I suspect that it has never been opened.

Smart cars are made by Mercedes. In Canada they are sold and serviced by those dealers. In the US they have separate outlets.

It’s a co-venture of Mercedes and the Swatch Watch company.
I will forego the obvious jokes about the car being powered by a tiny batttery and a quartz crystal.

i am really sorry that I did this nothing but a bunch of empty people responding

It is whatever is in the owner’s manual from the manufacturer of the car. It also does not need to be done by the dealer, just keep records and receipts and your warranty will not be compromised. Don’t skimp of what is listed in the owner’s manual.

I suspect that the folks that took the time to give you some good advice are feeling a little sorry themselves.

Ed B.

Empty People Responding? Does This Mean That You Are The Opposite Of “Empty Of It”?

Knowledgeable car lovers have taken time and given you valuable advice. What are you doing asking for advice if you don’t want it? Smart cars require Smart drivers.

Next!
CSA

Save your breath, Joseph. The OP is apparently not interested in any answers that advise him/her to read the Owner’s Manual. That is essentially what everyone advised her to do, and he/she balked at that suggestion. Apparently, he/she wants us (none of whom own that make of car, and none of whom have direct access to a Smart Owner’s Manual) to do that task for him/her.

I agree that it is pretty sad that several posters come on thinking that we magically know anything and everything about every vehicle and the maintenance that’s needed on them. I’m wondering if the OP even knows to fuel it with high octane

Trolls come in all shapes and sizes. They don’t always intend to waste our time.

OP, you’re way off base by accusing VDCdriver of being “empty”. Quite the contrary. VDCdriver is articulate and helpful and the fact that you may have taken offense at some trivial comment does not make him “empty” at all.
And you’re REALLY grasping if you think there is anything offensive in the comments he made.

This is a perfect example in regards to a comment made 20 years ago by the head of the GM service division in which he stated that “we’ve just about given up all hope of getting anyone to open the glove box and read the owners manual”.

While the results will never be known, I’d be willing to wager 20 bucks that within 2 years this Smart Car will be hovering near junk status due to an engine or transmission problem.

Sometimes I think the owner’s manual is there kinda like how there are tons of labels on appliances. They’re there so if someone does something screwy like stick a screwdriver into the console panel while the dryer is running, they can’t be sued when something goes wrong.
I’ve looked at owner’s manuals during part of my test drives. If the salesman had to drive off the lot, then I looked at it while he drove, or if I had to wait on the salesman to get his magnetic plate. Usually just the break in part, but atleast I’m trying to do my part. I even comment that I’m probably gonna be the only person to open that book the whole time the vehicle is being used.

I recall that one of my cars ('86 Taurus? '92 Accord?) came with an Owner’s Manual that had TEN pages on “how to put on your seat belts”!

However, that type of overkill aside, there is no denying that an Owner’s Manual contains a wealth of information, such as answers to…perhaps 40% of the questions posted in this forum.

I worked for a Sears Hardware for a couple of months. I used to read the tools owners’ manuals during my breaks and at slow times. The Craftsmen chainsaws actually had the warning “do not stop moving chain with hands”. Someone had to have tried that at one point for it to be in print with the chainsaw.