Smaller SUV with third row plus towing capacity

We are in the market for a new family car - we want to get the smallest vehicle we can with a third row (must fold flat). We have two kids (3 and 1), and only plan to use the third row to occasionally tote a friend or family member.

The only hitch (pun intended) is that we are also buying a fiberglass travel trailer. Trailer weight will be in the range of 3000-3500. We plan to take it on frequent short weekenders, but also an annual long road trip through the mountains. We really feel like we need at least 4500 lb towing capacity to feel comfortable.

We’ve identified the Nissan Pathfinder, Acura MDX, VW Toureg, Honda Pilot, and Dodge Durango as possibilities. In my ideal world, we’d find something with a bit better than 15/20 for gas mileage, but I do understand there are tradeoffs.

Any other vehicles that we should consider?

Thanks!

The Pilot or the Acura are the best bets here. I’m sure Toyota has something similar. Highlander?

Forget the Dodge.

Pathfinder gets my vote. It’s robustly built with body on frame construction which would be ideal for towing. And it’s got a third row seat. As for the fuel mileage thing, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you want good towing performance and a 3rd row you’re going to have live with lower-than-you-want gas mileage.

If you consider most look at slightly used. These type of vehicles have plummeted resale value (but still excellent for purpose). The dodge will be the best bargain in terms of price but possibly more troublesome.

The Highlander is NOT the equivalent to the Pilot…The equivalent vehicle is the 4runner…the Highlander is MUCH smaller. The only thing similar about them is they’re both fwd.

Towing anything over 2500lbs…it’s NOT a good idea to tow with a fwd vehicle…You want a RWD…The Pathfinder and 4Runner are your best bets. I’m pretty sure the Pilot is only a Class II rating (up to 3500lbs)…Where as the Pathfinder and 4Runner are Class III (up to 5000lbs).

And it’s NOT just the towing capacity you have to worry about. It’s the Gross Weight of the Tow Vehicle AND the trailer…AND all it’s occupants AND luggage…etc. That should all be listed in the owners manual or on-line.

We checked out the Highlander and are definitely interested. Just the right size and the towing capacity can be upgraded to 5000 lb. It is awd - how does that compare to rwd for towing?

The Pilot’s towing capacity is 4500 lbs. The drive options are fwd or 4wd - does that mean that it’s fwd when the 4wd is disengaged? ie, would we need to have it in 4wd when towing the trailer?

I do understand that it’s about more than just towing capacity, but thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for all the great feedback and ideas. Please keep it coming!

Interesting tidbit about the Pilot. According to Honda’s website, when towing more than 3500 pounds they recommend using premium fuel. To me this says that towing anything over 3500 pounds puts a significant strain on the vehicle and that it’s possibly ill-equipped to handle significant loads. Not exactly confidence inspiring IMO.

The drive options are fwd or 4wd - does that mean that it’s fwd when the 4wd is disengaged?

If NOT in 4wd mode then yes it’s fwd. I still don’t like towing with a fwd vehicle.

Not sure if this is a true 4wd system. If it is then you CAN NOT tow in 4wd on dry pavement. You’ll ruin the 4wd system. I think it’s actually a form of a AWD system which you can use on dry pavement. But it’s NOT necessary.

Let me stress…that I don’t like towing in a fwd vehicle…BUT I’m sure Honda has done extensive research in designing their vehicle and I’m sure it’s safe as long as you tow within it’s designed limits. The thing I don’t like about it is if the trailer gets out of control it’s a lot easier to bring it back into control with a RWD vehicle.

One more thing. No matter what vehicle you decide to buy…get a separate tranny cooler. I also recommend either the factory hitch…or Reese/Drawtite. U-Haul hitches are made by Reese/Drawtite.

I think the Pilot is out. Between the 3500 rating on regular fuel and being fwd, it just doesn’t inspire confidence, regardless of what Honda might say. Somehow it slipped past me that the Toureg doesn’t have a third row, so it’s out, too. I question the durability of the Dodge, so it’s also out.

So we’re down to the Acura MDX (awd), the Pathfinder (rwd), and the Highlander (awd). Any additional thoughts on those or other vehicles would be welcome!

The Highlander is built of the Camry platform. If it truely can tow up to 5000lbs…GREAT…They are nice vehicles.

My first choice would be the Pathfinder. Followed by the Highlander. I wouldn’t even consider the Acura MDX. I don’t think it’s as capable as the other two for towing.

The Pathfinder and the 4runner and Durango are body-on-frame…all other vehicles you’ve mentioned are Unibody.

The MDX is a near mechanical clone of the Pilot.

Interesting tidbit about the Pilot. According to Honda’s website, when towing more than 3500 pounds they recommend using premium fuel. To me this says that towing anything over 3500 pounds puts a significant strain on the vehicle and that it’s possibly ill-equipped to handle significant loads. Not exactly confidence inspiring IMO.

Almost every vehicle I’ve owned says you may need to use a Higher Octane gas when towing. This includes GMC S-15, Chevy Silverado with a 350, Ford F150 and F250…and the list goes on.

FoDaddy said it. You can’t have your cake and eat it too when it comes to fuel mileage.

Expect a drop of about 15 to 20% in mpg. There’s no way around it. Maybe moreso in steep hill country.

The front on travel trailers create a wind drag almost comparable to towing a parachute.

I know because I’ve been towing trailers around (Very long distances too) for the last 11 years.

Buying too small a vehicle for heavy towing will put a strain on the whole vehicle not just the tranny.

Don’t forget to get a good quality brake controller (I use a Prodigy), a weight distribution hitch and sway bar.
With this set up correctly, you can get away with using a front wheel drive vehicle.

Very few will go that route, but there it is.

Ask any RVer and they’ll tell you “go big”. I use a 2002 Tahoe 5.3L (3.73 rear end) to pull my 21’ Trail-Lite (4900# loaded). Plenty of power and it doesn’t have to work itself to death. 13.5 mpg towing this trailer.

Granted, I don’t have to use it as an everyday driver.

Good you understand about tradeoffs.

Through the mountains, you’ll want something that’s more than capable of towing more than 3500 pounds. I’m not sure if the Explorer has 3rd row seating, but I’m pretty sure the Expedition does, if not a Suburban will fit the bill.

Yes, what bscar says. An occasional tow on the flat at the capacity of the vehicle might be O.K., but no way I would head to the mountains or regularly at capacity.

I have never seen this ever in any vehicle’s owners manual that I or anyone in my family have ever owned. This includes a 1996 F-150, a 1997 F-150, a 2002 F-150, a 1995 Bronco. a 1987 Crown Vic, a 1992 Crown Vic 1997 Crown Vic, a 2001 Crown Vic, a 2004 Crown Vic, and a 2007 Crown Vic (my grandpa likes his Crown Vics). I’m not calling you a liar or anything, but this is news to me.

Here are a few links about using higher octane and towing.

http://www.theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/gasoline-octane.cfm?renderforprint=1

http://www.autosmanual.com/1049/1997-2003-ford-f-series-54l-46l-triton-v8-edge-evolution-programmer-manual.html

One other thing…the Pilots engine has MORE hp and MORE torque then many V8’s…It’s MORE then capable to tow a 4000lb trailer.

None of those links are from any car manufacturers :slight_smile:

And I am not aware of any current model V8 that that the Pilot’s V6 out guns. The only one that comes close is the 2 valve Ford 4.6L but it only gives up about 2 or so HP but has more than 40 more torques.

Capacity is lawyered up. The same vehicle in the US has a much lower or no towing capacity sold abroad (especially Europe).

I was also going to mention the Explorer, it does have a decent 3rd row and decent towing capacity. Other options on the light end would be the Flex and the Acadia clones.