Silver "Pan" above my muffler

My car is rattling above my muffler but when i went down there it is not my muffler. There is a “Pan” above the muffler that looks like it is just sitting there. What is the easiest way to fix this?

That would be a heat shield. In some cases you can get it tight again with nothing more than a pipe clamp. In many cases you could just remove it, but that could cause other, more serious problems, like burning the floor mats above it.

I suggest you take it to your local independent mechanic and they should be able to take care of it quickly and easily.

If you are a do it yourselfer you should also be able to figure out something by looking at it.

Telling us what make, model and year car you have could help you get more specific advice.

Thanks for the advice. It is a 2000 Saturn LW2 Wagon. More help would be great.

Some other popular DIY fixes for loose heat shields include welding and hose clamps. Many welding shops can weld this thing in place in minutes.

another way to re-affix the shield is to drill out holes in the shield and its orignial mounting surface, and put in sheet metal screws.