Sienna Catalytic Converter Check Engine

Just had the CC replaced on the Sienna. The catalyst was OK, but the connections were leaking. Now, after 1100 miles, the Check Engine list is on and the code says CC. Repair shop says the new CC must be bad and wants to replace it. Sounds fishy.

Yes it does sound fishy.

There is no code that says “Replace Catalytic Converter.” Sometimes worn O2 sensors will trigger a code such as “catalytic converter below threshold” or something similar. This does NOT mean the cat is bad and needs to be replaced. New O2 sensors might make the cat work correctly.

On the other hand, if they’re replacing it free you might want to let them go ahead and do it. You shouldn’t have to pay for replacement of a defective part.

If they put another cat on and the light comes back in another 1,100 miles, tell them to look elsewhere for a problem.

Isn’t there a Federally mandated five year Warranty for replacement catalytic converters?
The catalytic converter is on the tail-end of everything (all the processes of combustion) which have taken place in the engine. Whatever (in the engine combustion) caused the first catalytic converter to “go bad” was never repaired. Now, those same things may have killed another catalytic converter.
It seems that it’s hard to find mechanics who know their profession.
THERE ARE NO CODES WHICH MEAN THAT A PART HAS TO BE CHANGED. Any “mechanic” who wants to automatically change a part, based purely on a code, is either ignorant, or greedy. Ignorance can be cured with learning. Greed is incurable.

Thank you (belatedly) for your comments. I just logged in here to complain about the “POSH” puzzler (urban legend) and saw this thread. I had forgotten I had posted it!

So, it’s two years later now and the light is still on. They did change it a 2nd time, but that didn’t solve it. They have not charged us anything since the first repair. They even took the car to their Catalytic Converter supplier and they thought the wrong size pipes were being used, so they fixed that. That did not stop the light from coming back on. They have been able to get it inspected, so we just use it with the light on.

It’s a 1997 with almost 200,000 miles on it. It’s been very good to us, but the older it gets the more lights we have on. Engine light, Seatbelt light, and usually the Check Tire Pressure light.

One other question, is this an interference engine? I get mixed answer when researching it. It’s 1997 Toyota Sienna mini-van. The timing belt has not been changed, and the car has been good enough to us over the years that we’d probably do it if it is an interference engine.

Thanks, and I’ll try to keep you posted on the Catalytic Converter.

According to this list the Sienna engine is non interference and confirms what I thought that most Toyota’s are non interference.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm

As far as the check engine light. You can take your car to Auto Zone and they will hook up a code scanner to the ECU and give you the code numbers for no charge. If you can do this and post the codes it will help with diagnosing your problem.