Side mirror ball & socket too loose

I guess you missed my post about de-potting the ignition coil for my trailblazer or the one where I took apart my gps antenna and fixed with a 26c SOT transistor. I used to do a lot of failure analysis for potted electronics for work. Both hard and soft encapsulants. Part of that effort is definitive diagnosis. If you can prove the repaired unit returns to functional, your FA gets more credibilty. Try digging out a 10 stage high voltage multiplier, identify and replace the defective parts, clean up the encapsulant such that no cracks or air voids will be left after you prime (think corona) and repot. 220kV output. Therefore, I don’t find your challenge particularly difficult. :wink:

Well, that’s cool and impressive. But…has nothing to do with an ignition control module or the mirror off an old Ford truck…or a spark plug, or a vast array of things that don’t yield themselves well to or warrant disassembly and repair.

1 Like

The paint idea seems to be working. Hasn’t stood the test of time yet, but the mirror orientation is now solidly staying where I put it.

I used black Plasti-kote spray paint. Sprayed a little paint into the spray bottle lid, then used a small artist’s paint brush to paint all the parts of the ball I could get to by rotating the mirror. Three coats, letting it dry an hour between coats. Noticeably harder to move, but mirror still remains moveable, and when properly oriented, faithfully staying in place. If it starts slipping again I think I’ll try the same paint method but add a little fine-sifted sand to the paint to give the ball/socket interface some extra friction.

2 Likes

It has everything to do with it. I never said it was the fiscally responsible thing to do. In fact, I said to just get a generic mirror if this isn’t in your wheelhouse. He’s interested in fixing it so saying there’s lots of things, like the thing he’s trying to fix, don’t lend themselves to repair is not germane to the conversation. Then you cited a bunch of repairs that you may have cleverly thought were impossible to do but in fact are not.