Shrinking market share for Lexus

I guess I agree. It’s sort of not “classic” if half of it is modern. Still, my dad owns a 1950 Chevy truck with a 6 cylinder and column shift with less than 50k miles. Great truck, it’s neat. I pulled it out of the tractor shed, redid the brakes, changed the oil and drove it for a while in high school. But if dad won the lottery and asked if he should restore it in a “concours” stock fashion or with a more modern drivetrain… Cool as it is in stock form, I think it tops out at about 50 mph, as best I recall. And power brakes are pretty nice. Any kind of climate control would be an alteration. I think I’d go the “restomod” route on that one.

Right. If it’s a GT 350 and 100% correct, I might have to think about it. If it’s a low optioned 6 cylinder Mustang, I couldn’t get the Coyote V8 in there fast enough.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t read all the comments and don’t intend to but please I made it through the 80’s and I don’t want to go back.

The other thing is if you look at the BMW SUV styling, it is actually nicer looking than the other cookie cutter versions on the road. That might account for higher sales. Also, everybody is coming out with a competing product so as more are available, unless you can distinguish yourself, you are bound to lose sales. If sales were slipping, I’d just add more cup holders.

Speaking of Mustangs, a 1980 McLaren Mustang sold yesterday at Barrett Jackson for something like $40,000. It’s one of the ten built. It uses a 2.3L turbo 4-cyl with more power than the 4.2L V8 used in the Mustang at the time. I think that will be a collector car if it isn’t already.

1 Like

If I was going to get a classic car…I’d get a reso-mod. Modern features with the classic styling.

There is a company (probably more then one) in Florida that will build you a brand new Mustang that looks exactly like a 65 Mustang. I’d love to own one, but can’t afford it.

I just surfed ‘car sales’ and reading a few of the hits left me thinking that like stock market prognosticators the auto market gurus have huddled into BULL and BEAR camps and to support their agenda they select and edit statistics that suit them. But hey, that’s just like the current political situation also.

My own semi literate opinion continues to be that cheap money is pushing all markets into an abyss that will be over stocked with unsold cars, boats, homes and lots of timeshares with PAST DUE notices flying like confetti.

On today’s business page, there was an article predicting that new car sales over the next 12 months would be much lower than they had been for the past few years. I didn’t read the explanation, but because I will probably treat myself to a new car sometime over the next 12 months, I took this prediction as an indication that dealers will be more willing to… deal… and that manufacturers are much more likely to offer very low (or, maybe even 0%) financing rates in order to stimulate sales.

How long with that 0% money last though? And who will be paying for it?

The zero percent loan is only for those with excellent FICO scores . It does draw traffic because many people have no idea what score they have or know how good it has to be for that deal. Also a high percentage of people who do get the 0 % get tired of the higher payments because most of those loans are for 3 years. I would guess that enough of those type loans get refinanced to 5 and 6 year loans that it does make a profit.

I have a friend who financed a new Toyota for 6 years at 0%. I saw her credit score and it wasn’t as high as mine which is OK I guess but then I don’t really care.

For me, that doesn’t matter.
Normally, I pay cash for my new cars, but if I can dribble-out that outlay over 3 years, all the better.

+1
You and I will qualify for the 0% financing, but the average Joe probably will not, and he/she will then fall into the trap of dealer financing at high rates.

I wonder if they jacked up the price on your friend to make up for it.

I was working with a motorcycle dealership on financing my current motorcycle, and when I was ready to walk out because of their inability to get me a decent interest rate, they lowered the price more than I thought possible to keep me in the deal.

The dealership across town had gotten me good financing through an educational credit union, and this dealership’s finance department didn’t have any of those connections.

I did some checking on pricing for the lady before the deal was closed and everything seemed legit. My only criticism was the trade in allowance wasn’t quite generous enough for me but it was in the ball park for the region.

Rod , what was the score if you don’t mind saying ?

When I was looking at cars in 2017, 0% financing was available if you paid MSRP, or you could pay cash and get a discount. The spread between the discounted price and the MSRP is how they make money on 0% loans.

I am going to buy my next vehicle through Costco’s buying service, so the discount from the MSRP should be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,500-3,000. If I can’t get 0% financing with that deal, then I will just do as per my usual, and pay cash.

No doubt the dealership made a profit but there wasn’t a great deal of difference in the deal than if she had written a check. For that kind of money things were checked out well.

Sometimes you can get a slightly better deal financing rather than paying cash (if you pay off the loan quickly). I remember they offered $1500 off if you financed through Ford in 2013 when I bought an F150. I paid the financing for one month, then paid the truck off. Hey, $1500 bucks for paying 1 month’s interest seemed like a pretty good deal!

1 Like

My best deal was on a commercial truck @Scrapyard_John. In the late 70s I was driving a Ford with over 500k miles when I saw a federal program to encourage investment and bought a new Ford with an 18 month note and got a $2,000 tax exemption plus a 3 years sum of the digits depreciation allowance and the mileage allowance was increased to ~28c. Once all the paperwork was settled and recorded I paid it off. That’s way too long ago to remember all the numbers but I grossed out a good year and pencil whipped my taxes down to the bone.