Should I trade in my new 09 matrix awd Toyota

I am sure many people have asked this question. I had my car recalled. And repaired so they claim. I have NOT had any problem. Thank goodness. But still feel an uneasiness I would like to know if it would be wise to trade in for a Subaru. I like the awd and the size of this car. I know I would be out some money but it could be worth it. Thanks for your help. Valeriejean806@aol.com

I feel you have a good car and you’ll loose money. But feelings are a pesky thing and shouldn’t be trifled with by others including myself to convince your otherwise. So, I’d say, give it 9 months to a year, and if your confidence in the car hasn’t returned; do what you feel is right and swap if you want. Time may reinforce or change the way you feel about the car and you’ll do either with more conviction.

I partly agree with dagosa, but worrying over something that could still be a potential life threatening issue isn’t worth it, especially since even the CEO himself isn’t sure the “fix” will fix the problems. One could ask/argue if your life is worth more than the price of a different vehicle. Just don’t expect to get much for your Matrix when you trade it in.

If you are worried about winter driving traction, buy a good set of winter tires for about $500. You will be amazed at the improved handling on snow, ice and rain water.

As suggested, drive the car at least 9 more months or so, and your feeligns will likely be returning to normal.

Toyota has your best interest in mind, believe it or not, as well as their own interest. If your car had a remaining problem, with all the publicity and government investigations, Toyota would lose BILLIONS if they knowingly ignored such a problem.

In terms of risk, flying with a 3rd world airline is 26 times as dangerous as with a Western (US, European) company. And flying is typically twice as safe as driving. So island hopping in the Carribean, or South Pacific on your next holiday, with one of those exotic airlines is 13 times as dangerous as driving your Matrix.

In short, the current president of Toyota is at least as concerned as you are, and is getting little sleep to make sure your car is safe.

I also own a Toyota and would not hesitate to buy another one.

I remember (perhaps you do too) when Audi went through a major public relations problem because people were pressing on the gas petal and thought it was the brakes. Eventually Audi sorted out the problems and has recovered.

Toyota may or may not have unresolved problems. If you must sell your car, that is your decision. I’d keep it. Frankly your Matrix is a much, MUCH better car than any Subaru. If you must buy something, avoid Subaru and Volvo in your search for AWD.

In the end you are the driver, YOU need to be comfortable. Its only money and sometimes peace of mind is worth the money to get it.

If I owned the car, I would keep it. You never had a problem with the accelerator because you haven’t driven it enough to cause the wear needed to make the pedal stick. You were never in any real danger from sticky gas pedals. It was only older, high mileage cars that experienced the problem your Matrix was recalled for. BTW, I am not a Toyota fan, and never have been. My suggestions are based on Toyota’s track record in reliability, their quick response to this issue, and… I’m just plain cheap. It seems to me that the risk is low enough at this point that you are more likely to be in an accident for just about any other reason than a sticky gas pedal.

No is the simple answer. Toyota will make good on their vehicles, sure the resale rate is down 6%, sure you might have a problem, but if I wanted one I would not pass the opportunity, hang in there, it will be ok soon, I hope.

Practice, in a safe area and at low speed, how to switch to neutral and press firmly on the brakes until you are confident you can do so in the very unlikely event you will need to. Then enjoy your Matrix. The odds that you will get whacked by a drunk driver or cell phone talker are MUCH higher than any chance you will run into any kind of acceleration problem.

Maybe I’m crazy, but this evening I purchased a new Toyota Sienna. The Sienna isn’t on the recall list, but had I not needed the minivan, I would have purchased any of the Toyota products. I once owned a Ford Aerostar that was recalled because the ignition switch might cause a fire even when the vehicle was unattended. The next vehicle, a Ford Windstar was recalled because a resistor for the rear blower could overheat, then recalled because water could get into the windshield wiper motor and cause a fire, and finally recalled for a problem with the cruise control causing a fire. I didn’t have any fires start in these cars, and the chances of a fire starting were probably very slim. If a manufacturer recalls a product to correct a safety defect, I’m just thankful that the manufacturer wants to make it safe.
I did read some place where the government is recalling Servel gas refrigerators. The owners are paid $100 to surrender the refrigerator. Apparently, the gas burner can clog and put out carbon monoxide. Servel has been out of business since 1957. I guess it sometimes takes 50 years for a problem to surface.

I keep seeing posts on this board about head gasket problems with Subaru engines. Also, the answers to the posts about Ed and his home built airplane are split on whether Ed should install a Subaru engine or an old technology Lycoming engine. Therefore, to be on the safe side, trade for a Subaru, but make the dealer install a Lycoming engine.

I would not trade an '09 Matrix. You have not had any problems with it and you probably won’t. You’re worrying because of the media frenzy. Don’t panic. My sister drives and '08 Matrix and I’m not worried about her at all. Keep the reliable Matrix.

You should realize that Toyota has recalled and fixed millions of vehicles. MILLIONS I emphasize that because there have been only a few hundred, less than 1,000 reported incidents. Yes, a few were quite spectacular, but the truth is you are far more likely to be in a conventional car accident due to someone running a stop light or texting while driving, not related to any “sudden acceleration.” Don’t let media hype and mass hysteria run your life or make your decisions for you.

My sister lives on a farm and she had a Servel gas absorption refrigerator from the early fifties on and it worked well for over 25 years. Since they had many gas heaters on their poultry farm, making sure the fridge worked was all part of routine maintenance. She finally got rid of it because it was too small and did not have all the new features of later fridges. She was never aware of the recall.