Should I sell the Jaguar

I have a Red and Black Jaguar XJS 6cyl. convertible in excellent condition with 40k on it. I am second owner. Quirky well describes the car maintenance history. I am considering selling the car and buying a 2000 Toyota Solara with 158k on it. Am I crazy? Will the toyota really save me money over the next 5-10 years? The Toyota has had some engine work but no trans work.

Without knowing your driving environment, habits, needs, annual mileage, and the “quirky” history of the Jag, and without knowing anything at all about the Solara (other than it’s had some “engine work” of unknown reason or magnitude), and without knowing the cost of the Solara and if the Jag is paid for, it’s impossible to even guess if you’ll save money.

Sorry. There just is not nearly enough here to even guess.

More Detail: Jag is paid for. Toyota would cost a little less than I have into the Jag. All Jaguar of this year provide for quirky repairs to electronics and other misc. Toyota had 1. Timing belt 2. water pump 3. Spark plugs and wires 4. belts and hoses 5. Transmission fluids and filter 6. Camshaft seals 7. Valve cover gaskets. At 152K all new brakes, rotors and calibers. The Toyota has not had (that I know of) wheel bearings, cv joints or other suspension work.

If I was a betting man, I’d put big money on the Solara costing less than the Jaguar over the next 10 years. Assuming it’s been well-maintained (and documented, and checked).

Toyotas are very long lived cars, and repairs do not cost an arm and a leg. The Jaguar problems are just beginning.

Assuming the Solara was treated well over it’s life so far, budget $1200 per year to keep the Solara running and $3000-$4000 per year to keep the Jag running into its very uncertain future.

A few years ago a friend of mine in Houston inherited such a jaguar from his late father-in-law in Chicago. He flew down to pick it up and drive it home. It took a Week and $4200 in repairs to get to Houston.

Personally, I would look for a Solara with fewer miles on it. That’s the best of all worlds. My neighbor’s wife has one and she looks great driving it with the top down.

Would you have to take out a loan to get the Solara? It matters not how much you’ve put into the Jag.
How many miles a year do you drive?

If you drive few miles a year and would have to take out a loan, the Jag may be the cheaper way to go.

I’m also wondering about the work on the Solara. Camshaft seals and valve cover gaskets are not normal and may suggest a pressure buildup in the crankcase, which might suggest abnormal wear in the engine. This engine might even be one of the “sludge-o-matics”. I’d get this checked out very carefully before making any decisions.

Frankly, I’d be wary of the Solara only because of the repair history. I’d take Doc’s advice and look for a lower mileage Solara with a clean history.

Actually, the Toyota V6 commonly needs valve cover gaskets and camshaft seals. Nothing else there besides normal maintenance items.

The sale of the Jaguar is to cover the cost of the next car.

I drive an average of 7k to 9k a year on this car. (I have a van for vacations/other)

Of course the Camry would cost less than the Jaguar to maintain. An equivalent Toyota car would be a Lexus SC 400. The last year for the XJS was 1996; it’s at least 14 years old. A 14 year old car should be expected to have problems, and a 10 year old car is pushing it. You will likely need a new timing belt in the Toyota since there’s about 16,000 miles on it. When was the timing belt replaced? You obviously have other transportation given the low mileage. Despite your problems, the XJS has good reliability ratings. It might just be a sign of age.