Should I sell my car and stop driving?

I vote with those that suggest giving it a year. Once you’ve zipped around town with your daughter a bit (become familiar with St Paul) and have become desensitzed to the higher level of sctivity and stimulation around you, you may just become acclimated and feel comfortable driving there.

When I was in the Air Force many years ago I was stationed in Illinois for a year and then Grand Forks North Dakota. I didn’t drive in the Northeast for those years. And I was a fairly new driver when I left for the AF.

When I drove back home to NH, it took me some time to become reacclimated to the dramatically different driving environment. In North Dakota the roads are straight, flat, and unpopulated. You can see for 16 miles in any direction. There are few surprises. In NH, the roads are twisted, curved, up and down hilly, and visability is blocked all around you by the trees. Things come at you fast relative to North Dakota. It took some time, but I adjusted. Perhaps you will too.

Here’s one more reason to keep the car for a while-you just moved there, there’s lots to see and find out, you need to get to know your new city, on your terms and on your schedule.

But they are most definitely not inexpensive for visitors to the city.

Sure they are. Next time you are in NYC rent a car and drive around. Then, compare the cost to taking cabs. You’re not in Kansas anymore.

Twotone

I hope you don’t think of yourself as old at 61. I have you beat by 7 years. Every week I share rides to a band rehearsal with three other people and I am the youngest. The oldest person is 89 and he takes his turn at driving. He regularly drives into major cities and makes a trip at least twice a year from the midwest to Florida. The next person is a 79 year old former teacher. She drives to a large city at least twice a month. The next person is retired physics professor who is in his early 70’s. He and his wife make cross-country trips in their Toyota Prius if their elderly dog doesn’t go with them. When the dog goes, they drive their Ford Escape Hybrid. I’m the youngster in the group. I just drove to a convention in St. Louis and didn’t have problems.

No, I have not given up on life; I enjoy and appreciate every day, however, I am feeling very scared about driving here. I have walked to many places here, gotten lost a couple of times, but managed to find my way home. It is not so simple when one is in a car.

If getting lost is a concern (I certainly understand that!), how about either getting a GPS unit from Sams/Best Buy/etc, or see if you can get that kind of service on your cell phone. We get it from Verizon, works just fine.

ps-you can use the Verizon when you’re walking, too!

When I graduated from college I looked at a job in Manhattan. The rent on a parking space was as much as a studio apartment, and anywhere you drive you need to use a garage. I calculated that if I took a cab to work and out each evening it would still cost less than owning a car. It was expensive, but not as bad as owning a car.

Thanks.

Nope! I say this from personal experience and for your daughters sake! Grin! I am the daughter in the exact situation… I am the primary care giver for my Mom and Dad… they are in their late 70’s, so you might think they want to stay home and oh… knit or something, but… you would be wrong, very wrong!

This is my day, Get up early, work on my business, make brekfast, take Daddy to the coffee shop, try to get some work in, take Mother to the Doctor, then Physical Therapy, rush home, feed everyone lunch, Opps forgot Daddy, run get him from the coffee shop and get the lottery ticket. (what is it with lottery tickets in OHIO? You would think they were actually necessary for breath) Get home, eat, oh no, a nephew has a birthday we forgot about, Get mother into the car, opps, where is the cane? Did you leave it somewhere? OK put the heavy wheelchair in the car, go find toys, get the heavy wheel chair out of the car… etc, etc etc

And that is all before 2pm! SO… even if you don’t think you will need to use your car, keep it just in case… unless, of course, you drive like my sister… in which case, hand those keys over right now, sweetie!

Smilin at ya, LI

I totally agree. I made the mistake of driving to NYC twice (before I moved closer)…and trying to find a place to park in Manhattan is near impossible. And who can afford to park there. Just my two cents.

Here is an aid for not getting lost–buy a map of the area or go on-line and download a map. If you watch the traffic report on the local television station or listen to the report on the radio, you can identify the major traffic arteries of the city. Go to your map and pinpoint your residence in relatioship to the major roads in your area. Determine which streets run east and west and which sreets run north and south. The GPS recommended by another post is also very helpful.

I have a son who was very good at getting lost as a young driver. He now lives near a major city and drives in and out all the time with no problems. He learned to study maps carefully and when he was in college, drove all over the country.

I’m certain that within a year, you will have a feel as to how to get around in St. Paul.

I just re-read your orginal post. The fact that you drive a 2008 Corolla SE certainly means that you are not a geezer. My mother drove up until the day she died quite suddenly at 79. She always worried about her driving, but she drove and handled the car quite well. I worried a little bit about her vision–she never seemed to spot motorists on the road who were of illegitimate birth while I usually spot two or three a mile–but she never had an accident and did have good road sense. She also claimed to spot motorists of illegitimate birth but just didn’t announce them as I do.

In addition to that, parking can be expensive in big cities. I would encourage the pact with your daughter BUT also investigate a rental when you want to flee the scene.Investigate what is available in your city for seniors. NYC had been so far behind other cities, for example. We were in Denver about 30 some years ago and seniors traveled non rush hour for free on buses! If you are planning to stay there I would sell the car , pay off your daughter’s, and give yourself the option to rent if the spirit moves you.