Looking for old, reliable, beater used car

I have an 18 year old daughter with a poor driving record. Our insurance agent suggested buying an old used car to let her drive, keeping liability only on this car. This would save us about $250 per month. I am thus looking for an old, reliable used car. Any suggestions, please?

Chevy Caprice or Ford Crown Vic. Both are large, safe, and easy to keep running. The downside is both are V8 powered, with enough power to get into more trouble. The other option is a Honda or Toyota, like an Accord or Corolla. Both are reliable and cheap to fix.

Look around for a private sale in your area of a senior-citizen car (usually a Buick or a full-sized Ford or Mercury).

In addition to being more reliable than many other makes of cars, they have the advantage of surrounding your daughter with a lot of sheet metal, and they are not particularly sporty, which may help to reduce her driving speed. (Lower speed=less damage when she collides with something the next time.)

Also, a senior citizen’s car will be likely to have been better-maintained than some other used cars on the market. If possible, try to find one that comes with maintenance records, so that you can verify the maintenance history.

The cynic in me would say get her something she’d be too embarrassed to be seen in that she won’t want to drive it. The other posters however, have probably mentioned cars she wouldn’t want to drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ford Taurus or Chevy Impala

Beretta or corsca are cinda sporty and hold up good.

Taurus/Sable, Impala, Malibu, Crown Vic are all reasonably reliable and cheap to buy/fix in the 2000’s.

Forget Honda/Toyota as they are overpriced and last legs in the “beater” category of used cars. For example I sold a 8yrs old/180k Civic for $3200 in need of about $1500 of work.

I would vote for the Crown Vic. Cheap to buy and cheap to fix. Hey, it’s a free car and she messed up her driving record. You have to take what you get!

Any of the above, and some DRIVING LESSONS.

An 18-year-old should be paying her own way, or at least a large part of it. If she won’t drive responsibly the only thing you can do is get her off your insurance policy and make her pay for her own car and insurance.

Don’t be an enabler.

That’s What I’m Talk’n About!
CSA

With a poor driving record, perhaps a bicycle or a bus/transit pass would be a better idea.

If she wants to drive, let her buy her own car and her own insurance. She is an adult after all.

That was what I was going to say, but I thought I will get a lot of heat.

She will eventually appreciate it.

My daughter has been driving her grandmother’s hand-me-down '94 Taurus for a few years. She has been quite happy with it, though it has needed a few repairs. However, I swapped her my (also hand-me-down) '04 Camry for a couple of days this week, and she remarked how smooth the Camry rides. I think she’s finally ready to move up a little.

What part of the country are you in? Maybe we can make a deal :>)

Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis are rugged and aftermarket replacement parts keep the prices way down. You want a run-down on model year differences? http://www.moldyrabbit.com/liquid/index.html

I was also thinking the same thing. Driving is supposed to be a privilege, not a right, and your insurance company only wants more of your money. If they had your interest at heart, they would tell you to that not everyone belongs behind the wheel.

A 4 cylinder P/U…For the money you are spending on insurance, it might be cheaper for her to just take a cab and ride a bike the rest of the time…

Unfortunately, my daughter, although 18 and technically an adult, is a rising senior in high school, and we live in an area where the ability to drive is effectively essential to survival. I.e., effectively no public transportation, and riding a bike on the street is very, very dangerous. Believe me, I have done it. Also, she will be in a mixed college / high school next year, and they do not provide transportation. Finally, she has just started her first job. So, yes, I will eventually make her take responsibility for her own insurance / car expenses. At the moment, that would be very impractical. But I totally agree that forcing her to deal with the consequences of her bad behavior is a great idea. Of course, taking her 2006 Scion XB away from her, and replacing it with an old beater will be perceived by her as a very serious consequence. (Expecting howls of protest when she sees the car.) I must say, though, that your suggestions are significantly upscale from what I was considering. I have an appointment tomorrow to look at a 1980 Volvo 240DL with 315K (one owner who is a little old lady now) for example. Let me know your thoughts on that.

I live in Durham, NC.

Well I’m in the north near suburbs of DC, so it’s do-able, if a little goofy. The Taurus (103K mi) does not look so good, but it runs well and I keep it maintained. To be honest, you can probably find something equivalent close to home, but keep us in mind. I think this site does not have private e-mail option, so you would have to post back on this thread or start a new one to get my attention. I lurk here most days.

Not sure I’d go for a Volvo, at that age, it’s gonna probably need more work than what you’d pay for it.

Ford Taurus. They are plentiful, reliable and safe. Ford has dumped these things into the fleet market especially since they lost the world’s best seller position a decade or so ago. That tends to drive down the resale value as comparted to Honda and Toyota, especially. Don’t get one too old, though; the transmissions are a nightmare in the early 90’s).