Should I Rebuild My Lemon For Tiny Housing?

How Do I Find 1 Who Rebuilds Vehicles, For Living Space? Videos Show A Lot Of DIYs. I Need To Have The Work Done By Another Person, Or…Find A “Ready To Live In!”, From The World Of “Van Life”. Any Suggestions?

I have no idea, but just in case someone else in this nationwide forum does have some helpful info, it would be a very good idea for you to reveal the state or region where you want this work to be done.

If this is the vehicle with Mold problems that alone will cost hundreds . Also where are you going to park this thing without the local rules that might have it towed away .

1 Like

Other thread indicates Kentucky

Oh. Thanks. It Doesn’t Matter. Homeless, UnderEmployment, Has Me Willing To Relocate.

You want to work? Huge step #1
A plan to live in a car is a lousy plan.
Get a better job. Get an apartment. Get a roommate?
Rent a room in a house?
Live near work? Take a bus?

3 Likes

While the OP might have to settle for a job that is not his/her “dream job”, in reality nobody should have a problem at this point finding multiple job openings. Despite record low unemployment, there are still more than 10 million job openings nationwide.

On the local news last night, they did a story about the NYC financial services industry, where the worker shortages are so severe that many companies are waiving the requirement for a college degree. One NYC financial services firm is now paying $25 per hour to interns with just a HS diploma while they are in training, with the promise of higher wages once they prove themselves,

also…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-06/us-hiring-tops-forecasts-jobless-rate-falls-as-wage-gains-slow?cmpid=BBD010723_WKND&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=230107&utm_campaign=weekendreading

1 Like

Read the title: “rebuild my LEMON”.

Should you rebuild it for housing? NO. NO. And NO.

If it’s a lemon, don’t spend money on it for an expensive conversion. May as well light the cash on fire.

Better to have a fixed residence, no matter how humble, funky, unpleasant, or inadequate. Getting a home is the starting point. At least you’ll know you have a place to go home to each night to make a meal, take a bath, and sleep. Local social services may have support systems for short term housing assistance.

Then look for ways to enhance your employability. Start with local social services and the public library for ways to learn some skills which might get you a steady entry level job. Make LEARNING SKILLS be your first job. Work there 6 hours a day, then spend 2 hours looking for any part time job.

Don’t spend a dime on the “lemon”. Instead, visit a thrift store and buy a bicycle.

This is one step at a time. Good luck.

2 Likes

Kudos for your motivation and agree with the other posters that living in your car is a bad idea.

Now a good idea …

For motivated people like you there are PAID Union Apprentice Training programs in Carpentry, Welding, Plumbing, Electric, Seamanship that lead to high paying secure careers. The pay ain’t great and the training is demanding and the course lasts several years (living lean) but for those with the guts to stick it out …

1 Like

It’s My Shelter. Many Homeless Sleep OutSide Of Shelters/Shelter Property, In Vehicles. My Crisis Is Easier To Eliminate Than Others, So, I Will Transition - In Several Months, If Not Employed, Sooner. “Triple A” has A Towing Service I Plan To Use, Next Month. Hopefully, I’ll Be Employed, With A 4th Job.

Thanx for the suggestion. I’ve given all I can to hard labor, after 20+ years, in manufacturing, & injuries. I work. 2 seasonal jobs, & delivery driving - now, I’m close to paying off my disabled vehicle. I came here for optional thinking. I’ve been fascinated with vehicular residency, since I was a little girl, watching camping/family vacation scenes, & hoping to escape the hostility, among relatives. I began this journey in 2010, because I was forced to. Apartments are nice, if there’s repair, & the neighbors aren’t helping co-workers bully you about inappropriate contact.

I have 3 jobs, now. A 4th is debatable. This year, I celebrate 40yrs of work history. If a vehicle is in good condition, & I’m not forced to stay in it, for too many hours, at a time - because I’m allowed to work, it’s appropriate, for me. No partner; pets; plants; police pursuits. A membership at the gym; access to coin-op laundry, & food…all is well. My life isn’t complicated. I only wanted options I hadn’t, already lived, or thought of. Thank you.

1 Like

Remember that having a vehicle that is configured so it is possible to live in it doesn’t mean your local neighborhood & gov’t organizations will let you do that. Some will, many won’t. Suggest to sus-out that issue first.

If you’re capable of doing this sort of work, ask around at the local auto repair shops in your area if they have anything needing doing. Even if it just cleaning up an oil spill. If they say “yeah, come tomorrow at 8 am and work for a day”, then show up on time and work diligently. Maybe you’ll land a full-time job and will be able to afford to rent an apartment.

2 Likes

Thanx. This issue is resolved, now. I’ve been living this way, with no legal issues, (Homeless, & UnderEmployed) since 2010. I wanted to be open to other ideas, in a situation where - vehicular residency is actually safer, & more practical, for working as a delivery driver, waiting for seasonal jobs to begin, again, for some of us. Sorry. It’s complicated, here.

Issue has been discussed here, for example, while it won’t help, you may find this interesting.

I’m not familiar w/that particular problem myself, but folks I know find themselves in a position where they must avoid working for pay, b/c if they get any pay at all they’ll lose important gov’t benefits they depend upon for living. So I understand how it can be complicated.

1 Like

Thank you! This is more help than u know. I need relocation options. I’ve been counted, among homeless, since 2010, My vehicular residency helps me with delivery driving, & I can do this, anywhere. It’s too cold, here.

1 Like

I know the postal service sometimes sell postal trucks. They are right hand drive, which is great for delivering. they probably will need some work. The one thing that is bad is they do not have a/c, just a fan mounted on the dash

1 Like

The postal service will likely be selling-off all of their old Grumman-made trucks over the next couple of years, as the new postal trucks made by Oshkosh Defense continue to roll out. Since the old Grumman trucks date back to the mid-90s, I think it is fair to say that they will need a LOT of word, as well as a lot of gas to propel them.

1 Like

Thanx. After What I’ve Been Through, That’s Luxury. No Heat, Or Air, Here…No Battery. Blankets, & Hot Flashes Keep Me Warm.:relaxed: I’m Not Sure If I Want Another Vehicle - Ever. I’m Shopping Options, But, I Would Need To Learn Auto Mechanic Proficiency, Next. I’m Too Tired, For That. If I Can, I Will Become A BackPacker.