Should I keep my small wheels with large tires, or should I get change to bigger wheels and smaller tires for my lowered R10

This is how I could tell I’ve loaded too much firewood.

Perhaps you should save the money you are using for mods and put it towards replacing this truck with the “frankenmotor”

An example found online, doesn’t look bad at all.
87chev87023-1
And one with custom wheels, no idea on size

3 Likes

Nice wheels. I think you should keep them for a while. The pictures that @wolyrobb showed look good to me. Slap your cool tires on that truck, and it would look great. Many you can photoshop your tires onto the lowered truck to get an idea of how it will look.

Bigger tires, meaningreater circumference, have a smoother, betteride.
Our bigger tires get greater mileage. (DiscounTire said we got over 100,000 miles on our last set and we still had more tread to go.)

Hi ethankeuning:
I agree with jtsanders’ comment that you should keep your current wheels for a while. That will give you time to really understand if you like them enough to keep them or to layout the cash to replace them.

I particularly like the black steelies, raised white letter tires and chrome nuts. Give the lowered truck a bit of a NASCAR truck look.

1 Like

Not necessarily. 24 inch wheels with 20 series tires will not give a better ride… Basically this:

Won’t ride better than these 17 inch wheels with a lesser overall circumference;

1 Like

@Mustangman So you are saying, I should keep the tires and wheels, but paint the rims black (flat maybe?) and try to accent the white raised lettering

Chrome is very difficult to paint.

That is my preference but you need to be happy how it looks.

Auto parts store sell a wheel paint you can peel off if you want to change it. That is a way you can try out the look and see if you like it.

I ain’t never rode in no Cadillac - except working EMS in old Cadillac “hearse” ambulances.
They had a wonderful soft ride.
(Delivered blood to Cheyenne, ?oming, so I am speaking cowboy.)

The larger the tire circumference, the smoother the ride.
Why I got my inline roller skates withe largest diameter wheels possible.
Now I can skate on grass!

Its fun.
In Denver, many of my Mexican friends have made coolooking “low riders” of their vehicles.
The vehicles bottom out many places, get poorer gas mileage, and have bumpierides.
But looks neat!

Probably have air ride suspensions to raise them when necessary.

Nascar was my 1st thought too.

When I was researching wheel/tire combinations for my Cherokee, one the tire chain stores (I think it was Les Schwab) gave you the ability to put in your vehicle information (year, make, model and color) and let you see what it would like like with various wheel/tire combinations. Then it’s just a matter of seeing which one you like esthetically, then making sure you don’t run into clearance or offset issues.

Another consideration is this: those 20 series tires will provide no cushion benefit whatsoever to those 24 inch wheels so any pothole bigger than a walnut run over a a speed over 10 mph may result in bent rims. Worked with a lady that had 20" rims with 35 series tires and she had to replace one of the wheels every so often due to pothole damage.