Should I have bought extended warranties on a 2014 Acura MDX?

Speaking from experience here, my Dad bought a 2007 Acura TL new off the lot. He had to replace 5, count FIVE rims. In his 40 years driving he never had to replace a single rim before. But on three occasions, a random pot hole (not the same one mind you) bent the rims. Itd take out two on whatever side drove over the pot hole. At $300 a pop he was not a happy man.

Now Acura denied anyone else having these issues (even as I watched most TL’s come into the service department with aftermarket wheels - I wonder why).

Acura couldve used a cheap batch of aluminum then who knows. Maybe the new ones are issue free.

I have a mustang with aftermarket chinese wheels that Ive accidentally hit some mega pot holes with and in 6 years no bends or issues. The set cost me like $450. Probably steel.

I dont mean to alarm you but its the honest truth.

If it were me, Id bank on Acura having fixed the issue and save your 2 grand. If you end up bending some, get some good aftermarket wheels and be done with it. Its been a good car otherwise.

Would an extended warranty even cover a pothole-damaged rim? I’ve never bought one, but I thought they were for failures not caused by damage. Damage would usually come under a car’s “comprehensive” coverage section of the regular insurance policy… less, of course, the deductible.

I’m on my 2nd Acura and haven’t had a wheel problem. The first one was an 08 so 07 might have been a bad year.

I’d be extremely surprised if Acura doesn’t consider rims a part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

@Fender1325 No offense intended to your dad, but I think he needs to work on driving better. My '07 TL has the stock wheels on it and I’ve never had an issue. I don’t see it as a normal issue on Acura forums either. And yes, I’ve hit potholes with them. I’m forced to wonder if your dad isn’t barreling down pockmarked roads rather than going slowly like you should.

BTW, a lot of cars with aftermarket wheels on them are either running winter wheels (and the stock wheels come back out in the summer) or the driver simply didn’t like the stock wheels and wanted something more to their taste. Seeing a car with aftermarket wheels does not automatically mean that you can assume the original wheels broke.

“accidental damage” isn’t covered by Acura, so it depends on what they’d call a bent rim.

@shadowfax

Id say considering he’s never bent a single rim in 40+ years of driving is cause to be suspect of acura.

Not to mention he also owns two fords and drives them the same way on the same roads. Those fords (a mustang and an expedition are also 5 and 10 years older than the acura) He is far from a wreckless driver.

This happened several times within roughly a 6 month to 1 year period. After the last “batch” the current wheels have been on for 3 years no issue.

Sorry but your advice to “drive better” is stupid.

I’m sure the bent rims are because of low profile tires, and possibly weak rims. It’s a common problem on BMWs now, too.

But getting Acura to pay is another matter.

But drop the name calling, OK?

Acura used lightweight aluminum rims to improve performance. He literally had 5 blowouts because the rim got bent. (3 occasions). This was not at some specific pothole or same road everytime.

He was born and raised in NY so hes no stranger to torn up roads.

This happened in NC where he currently lives.

I have low profile tires myself and have hit some unavoidable, catch you off-guard, pretty serious pot holes in a lowered car mind you. Never bent a rim or had a blow out.

Acuras aluminum recipe was too weak in whatever batch he got. It happens. But Id guess theyve addressed this by now.

Sorry but “hey drive better” is just annoying to me. Its silly. Moving on!

My good friend told me not buy it until your current warrenty is about to expire. I assume in 3 year time. The dealership try to sell use the tire/rim protection which we got upset because its already included (they were trying to make more money by selling us something we already have, just more years) Make sure you read the fine prints (it does have pot holes protection, but you should be able to see it when it’s coming, and park not too close to the curb)

In addition, we have this insurance in Canada, so might be something similar in the States

http://www.ultimarisksolutions.com/choose_province.php

which protects your car if you something happen to you that’s not your fault, deductible reimbursement (unlimited windshield crack, dents, smashed windows), use OME parts when fixing, and gives you total of value of your car back (in cash if you want) if you got into accident and it becomes a write off in the first 3 year of the new car life

You don’t need that tire/rim package, as it should be part of your coverage already. The dealership where we bought our car try to sell us the same thing too, and it was supposed to be part of the package (they try to sell us the extended one). Just be careful of those pot holes and don’t park too close to the curb. You can choose to buy extended once your current one is about to expire in 2017

We have this newer insurance policy (third party) in Canada where they will cover the cost of any deductible as long its not your fault, unlimited (windshield crack on highway, dents in parking lot, smashed window), fixing your car with OEM (not aftermarket) parts, and total replacement of your car if the it’s totaled (in cash or new car at equal value. It sounds like a good deal but the upfront cost is pretty high

If they offer you to do some sort of chemical protection package, don’t get it from dealer, just get it spray somewhere else, it will be cheaper

You don’t need that tire/rim package, as it should be part of your coverage already. The dealership where we bought our car try to sell us the same thing too, and it was supposed to be part of the package (they try to sell us the extended one). Just be careful of those pot holes and don’t park too close to the curb. You can choose to buy extended once your current one is about to expire in 2017

We have this newer insurance policy (third party) in Canada where they will cover the cost of any deductible as long its not your fault, unlimited (windshield crack on highway, dents in parking lot, smashed window), fixing your car with OEM (not aftermarket) parts, and total replacement of your car if the it’s totaled (in cash or new car at equal value. It sounds like a good deal but the upfront cost is pretty high

If they offer you to do some sort of chemical protection package, don’t get it from dealer, just get it spray somewhere else, it will be cheaper