Should I fix up a 1991 Chevy?

For many years, country people have been allowed to import small pickups such as the Ranger into Mexico, if they are old enough. You have to drive through Texas and beyond Oklahoma until the price of a Ranger drops to where it should be based on age and condition.

And, once they get it here, they can get parts and keep it running indefinitely.

I suspect that is why those pickups sell at such outrageous prices.

I know absolutely nothing about cars

Based on that, I don’t think this on e is a good choice. Unless you really want to learn a lot & fast about cars and have time, work space, etc to do so. This sounds like a restoration project. Those can be fun and interesting but they often take much longer than anticipated to complete. 3 years isn’t out of the ordinary, if you go by those restore-your-truck magazines I see, like Vintage Truck, Classic Trucks, etc. Maybe, one idea, take a look at a couple of issues of those magazines before making a decision.

@db4690 I didn’t say you could get one for dirt cheap… I’m just saying if you look around you can get one in pretty fair condition that at least runs well and that is priced pretty fair. I mentioned older rangers ranging from years 90-93. I’m sure rangers from 2000 and on will not be had “cheap”

When I say “getting old” I mean that stuff is starting to break on it that’s more expensive than the car is worth. I don’t want to replace the Yukon. I know the logic of getting a truck that is 10 years older than the one I have now is odd, but I would need something to drive while fixing the truck. I have since found much cheaper trucks. I want to fix up the truck and still have some form of transportation. Assuming the project is successful, I would then fix the stuff on the Yukon and drive the truck until it’s done.

A Yukon is considered a SUV isn’t it? Sorry I am just confused on that… And it’s only natural that your car needs to have some repairs at this point in its life. “I mean that stuff is starting to break on it that’s more expensive than the car is worth.” It seems that you are indicating that the car is in need of a major repair?

The Yukon isn’t in danger of dying tomorrow. It has an oil leak, the brakes can occassionaly stick at low speeds, the ABS lights are always on, the spedometer reads fast, back passenger doors don’t work on the fob, the driver door doesn’t lock on the fob, almost all of the speakers are shot, the “Traction Off” is always on, one of the fog lights is out, one of the interior light buttons is stuck and thus the light doesn’t work, and the driver side visor is missing a screw that holds it up. The Yukon runs great, always starts, doesn’t knock, engine is quiet, it just needs a little TLC, but I can’t give it the care it needs and have not have it drive.

Well outside of the brakes sticking and the ABS light being on (I would just have a mechanic look at that), seems like the interior stuff should all be simple enough fixes… YouTube is your friend here on how to fix things of that nature… Even the fog light I’m sure you could handle! Imo given the age I wouldn’t care about the speedometer and it’s problems it’s having. In my car both the window regulators broke on me so I headed to YouTube and looked up some videos and then attempted it myself with success! Now I got working Windows again and I didn’t have to pay $400 for someone else to do them.

“I know absolutely nothing about cars”
“It doesn’t go in reverse, the outside has a couple rust spots but not too bad, and the inside is kinda nasty but it runs.”

These statements by the OP mean do not bode well for his chances of success with this purchase. Purchasing this would be a really bad idea IMHO.

Stuff is breaking on the Yukon, and it will cost you more to fix that stuff than the vehicle is worth, so you want to get another vehicle.

OK, that makes sense.

Then you say that you want the second vehicle to drive around while you fix the Yukon, which means you are now spending more than the Yukon is worth to fix it while also spending money on a second vehicle which also needs to be fixed including a major repair to the transmission that will probably cost more than both vehicles combined are worth.

This is where the logic breaks down significantly, y’know? :wink:

This is where the logic breaks down

I think the OP is saying that while it will cost more to fix the Yukon to the “everything is working like new” level than the Yukon is worth, it still makes $$ sense to fix it. B/c the only other option is to buy a replacement, which will likely cost even more than that. The issue is whether the postulated second truck is a good choice or not. I agree with most of the posters here that it isn’t. But there’s nothing logically wrong with the idea of fixing up the Yukon and buying a second truck to fill in while the Yukon is in the shop.

Note to OP: Your ABS and Traction dash warning lights could be caused by the same problem. It might just be a faulty wheel speed sensor.

The brake, ABS, traction control and speedometer problems may be just one problem, this might be fixed during one visit to a shop while you wait. The door latches and speakers are easy Saturday projects that don’t require alternate transportation.

It would be reasonable to repair your present vehicle before starting a project on an old truck that may not ever be completed.

For the money you would spend on the 1991 pickup, you could fix a lot of the issues with the Yukon. Just the purchase price of the pickup can go a long way to fixing the interior problems.

OP can fix a lot of the interior problems himself for a fraction of the cost that he’d pay a shop to do it IMHO

You probably could.
I know I could, 'cause I’m gutted a car interior and put it all back together.
But I got the impression from the OP that he probably could not.

If he were looking for a project vehicle, that’d be a different discussion. But he’s looking to replace his daily driver.

Well if the op wants to try himself then here’s a link to a YouTube video that shows him step by step how to fix the door locks. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2aRkk_d2Y

I don’t want to replace the Yukon.

The OP what to have two vehicles, a pick up and a SUV.