Should I buy a 2011 Prius with a "replaced IPM transistor, MG ECU and Other"? Not to mention they installed (doesn't say replaced) the air bag brackets in 2019

I would like this car because I can’t afford much better, at least if I want a Prius that isn’t SUPER old. But I just looked up the car’s complete service report online and found the above. Does it make a difference? And why would they install airbag brackets in 2019? It was in an apparently minor accident, passenger rear, back in 2016 unless they listed the year wrong. And they never installed new airbags, just brackets.

It looks like it all was done under recalls.

MC-10187254-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Curtain Shield Air Bag Inflators May Crack
If either portion of the curtain shield air bag inflator ejects into the passenger cabin, there is an increased risk of injury to vehicle occupants.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V487000

Manufacturer Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing

Components AIR BAGS

Potential Number of Units Affected 482,002

Summary

Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2010-2012 Toyota Prius, 2010 and 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid, and 2011-2012 Lexus CT200h vehicles. A weld in the curtain shield air bag inflator may crack causing one or both portions of the inflator to eject into the passenger cabin.

Remedy

Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will install retention brackets to the curtain shield air bags, free of charge. The recall began on October 17, 2016. Owners may contact Toyota Customer Service Department at 1-800-331-4331. Toyota’s number for this recall is Toyota G0U, and Lexus GLJ.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

7 Affected Products

41 Associated Documents

1 Like

If your funds are limited how are you going to replace the battery on a Prius . You might not need to for a while but still any 11 year old vehicle will need repairs . Also not every vehicle shop will be able or want to work on a Hybrid. Just the repair history would make me pass .

Might be a good idea to determine just what amount of monthly payment you can really afford and look at the Carfax site for something. Carfax does have a warranty of sorts.

Do you really need/want a hybrid car?

I’d be reluctant to buy a 10+ year old hybrid, let alone one with already some yellow “caution” flags.

If funds are limited, I think you’d be better off with a “traditional” gas burning car.

Those are positive things. The manufacture paid for the inverter (IPM) repair under the customer support program and the side curtain airbag recall was completed.

2 Likes

Get a prepurchase inspection from a shop that can check the hybrid battery. If it and everything else check out fine, then consider buying it. You might also want to buy it if you can get problems fixed by the current owner or reduce the price to have them fixed yourself. If you assume the risk of repairing items on the car, make sure that you add a risk fund to the price reduction. That is, if the cost of repairs you assume are estimated at $1000, get the price reduced by maybe $1300. It could cost more than the estimate. If you aren’t comfortable getting the repairs done yourself, then pass on it.

1 Like

While I like the Prius in general, the 2011 and 2010 have a history of oil burning problems:
2011 Toyota Prius Problems, Defects & Complaints (carcomplaints.com)

You still should have the car inspected by someone familiar with this type, who will test the hybrid battery, etc. Also have the crash damage repair inspected for proper workmanship, and that all danage was addressed. In general Priuses have a good track record well past 200,000mi, but maintenance history matters and all cars eventually wear out.