Should a key-fob be stored a metal coffee can?

Normally my backup FOB is left home. But on a long trip I like to bring it with me as a backup.

My car will not let me lock the doors if a FOB is in the car. So I wrap the 2nd FOB in 2 layers of aluminum foil so the car and FOB can’t communicate. (The primary FOB is always in my pocket)

1 Like

Does the key-fob have a metakeyvhich can be inserted to unlock the door?
If so, I would hide it where I could find it and unlock the door to geto the spare key-fob shielded in AL foil hidden in the vehicle.

A Florida Mustang-owner said a man found that his new Mustang was emitting a signal from a tracking device.
How did he know? (Locating device of the Title-holding bank?)
He took ito the dealer and they could not find it. (Built into the vehicle?)

Was a criminal hoping to steal the car when parked in a good location?

When our 2023 RX350 was in the dealership for a new computer, they knew that I drove their courtesy RX500? to a hospital 260 miles west.

I don’t have a key fob for my Tesla. I have a keycard. When I get close to the car the it does a handshake with the card and opens the door then allows the car to shift out of park. I presume this signal is even weaker since there is no battery in the keycard. From what I’ve read the Tesla anti theft system is robust.

2 Likes

I also have a keycard, but I’ve never used it, and it sits in the Faraday Box, along with the spare key fob. I think that I should at least “test” the keycard.

Have you checked if your fob can be turned off? Mine can, for this reason.

I do not see an up-side to being able to turn off the fob. Yeah, it cannot be hacked (maybe…) when it is turned off, but turning the fob off and then leaving it in the car, Big Mistake… and a whole new categories for sad stories in CarTalk under the title, “This happened to me, I locked myself out of my car… Whaaa…”

Ok, I think I finally understand how the thieves would do their trickery, by going around in parking lots touching car door handles, then recording the signal code the car-owner’s fob transmits. Sort of hard to believe the fob’s reply signal could be received miles away, but no way to really know without knowing the fob transmitter’s frequency, radiated power, and antenna beam pattern. Thanks for taking the time to post the explanation.

It’s also sort of hard to believe the car’s designers would design such an easily cracked security system. They could instead design the system so the car wouldn’t transmit anything until the owner pressed a button on the fob, and a fob that would only transmit its code in low power mode. They could also make the code the fob transmits change each time it transmits, a change only the car’s receiver would know about.

I presume you mean that applies when the engine is off, car is parked. To avoid a situation where the owner isn’t able to re-enter the car. You can still lock the doors with the fob inside when you are driving, right?

It seems like that method could be easily hacked. the thief would walk around with their “handshake” device seaching for folks carrying keycards. The keycard must contain a unique rfid code that matches what the car’s hand-shake device is looking for. The card doesn’t require a battery but it does transmit in a manner. I presume the way it work, the car transmits to the card, and depending on how much the transmitted signal is absorbed/reflected from the card, which the transmitter can detect, that is how the car’s computer reads the keycard ID.

Doesn’t matter. Thieves don’t want to steal Teslas. Sentry mode, built-in GPS tracking, and lots of cameras to provide video of the thieves make Tesla theft unlikely. Measured theft rates are very low. The camera videos are recorded on a USB stick in the glovebox.

No. The only way is to pull the battery. A Faraday cage makes more sense.

Yes, in fact when I shift to D the doors lock. When I shift to park the doors unlock.

1 Like

Growing up a “Latchkey” kid in the 60s, I’ve been carrying keys for over 60 years and have yet to lose one. Did once lock them in my 78 Chevy van, but with the sunroof open, I crawled through the top. I’ll take a traditional key anytime!

2 Likes